Author Topic: Rebuilding a 1980's System  (Read 62 times)

Offline tool hound

• FNG !!!
Rebuilding a 1980's System
« on: September 13, 2018, 11:58:22 AM »
Good morning,

Thanks you for the use of this forum.  I hope I can get the input I need to complete a 1980's stereo system
Short history,  1980's Air Force Stationed in England.  I had a Carver Cube, Klipsch LaScalas, Dragon tape deck and I don't remember the rest, none the less it is all gone.  I did buy my brother in law a Yamaha system with Lascalas at the same time and now parts of that system have come my way.   I'm not a sophisticated audio person, I just want to enjoy some good music with my one working ear.

More equipment may come my way , but what I have now is:
Yamaha  M 65 Amp
Yamaha GE 60 Equalizer
Klipsch LaScalas

My questions are,
What Yamaha Pre Amp and Tuner would fit this system?  I'd like it to all be the same vintage.
Also what is the best way to play Digital music through a system of this era?

Many Thanks  in advance,
Tool Hound

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Rebuilding a 1980's System
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 01:00:14 PM »
The Yamaha C-65 is the matched pre amp to the M-65.   The Yamaha T-80 tuner has the same red lighting as the other two components.   The model number isn't as obvious a match, but it looks like it should work.   

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 01:01:37 PM »
As far as digital goes, I would want a bit more info.   What kind of digital source?   Does it have analog outs?   If so, will an outboard DAC be a big upgrade or just an extra piece of gear?

Offline tool hound

• FNG !!!
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 08:49:30 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I'll start the hunt for a C-65 preamp.  The original may still show up when everything is unpacked, but I want to hear these speakers sooner than later.

On the using digital music.  I would guess my phone or an Ipod would be the source. 

Just remebered that I gave my brother in law all my half speed master LPs and I need to find out what happened to them.

Thanks,
Tool Hound