Author Topic: Rebuilding a 1980's System  (Read 2651 times)

Offline tool hound

• FNG !!!
Rebuilding a 1980's System
« on: September 13, 2018, 11:58:22 AM »
Good morning,

Thanks you for the use of this forum.  I hope I can get the input I need to complete a 1980's stereo system
Short history,  1980's Air Force Stationed in England.  I had a Carver Cube, Klipsch LaScalas, Dragon tape deck and I don't remember the rest, none the less it is all gone.  I did buy my brother in law a Yamaha system with Lascalas at the same time and now parts of that system have come my way.   I'm not a sophisticated audio person, I just want to enjoy some good music with my one working ear.

More equipment may come my way , but what I have now is:
Yamaha  M 65 Amp
Yamaha GE 60 Equalizer
Klipsch LaScalas

My questions are,
What Yamaha Pre Amp and Tuner would fit this system?  I'd like it to all be the same vintage.
Also what is the best way to play Digital music through a system of this era?

Many Thanks  in advance,
Tool Hound

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Rebuilding a 1980's System
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 01:00:14 PM »
The Yamaha C-65 is the matched pre amp to the M-65.   The Yamaha T-80 tuner has the same red lighting as the other two components.   The model number isn't as obvious a match, but it looks like it should work.   

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 01:01:37 PM »
As far as digital goes, I would want a bit more info.   What kind of digital source?   Does it have analog outs?   If so, will an outboard DAC be a big upgrade or just an extra piece of gear?

Offline tool hound

• FNG !!!
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 08:49:30 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I'll start the hunt for a C-65 preamp.  The original may still show up when everything is unpacked, but I want to hear these speakers sooner than later.

On the using digital music.  I would guess my phone or an Ipod would be the source. 

Just remebered that I gave my brother in law all my half speed master LPs and I need to find out what happened to them.

Thanks,
Tool Hound

Offline tool hound

• FNG !!!
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 11:11:32 AM »
Back again,

Thanks for the input.

I've found a nice Yamaha C-70 preamp and it looks to be the correct vintage. 

Is this a decent option?

Any issues to be aware of with this model?

Many thanks,
Tool Hound

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 12:27:33 PM »
I don't know anything about that unit.   Sorry.

Offline tool hound

• FNG !!!
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 12:48:20 PM »
Back again,

I've been a collector all my life so I know searches can take awhile.  I'm not giving up on my search but the bottom line is I want to listen to some music, sooner rather than later.
I'm off to the local box store to find something in the $500 range.  There seem to be plenty out there that are around 200 watts, Bluetooth ready and have a tuner built in.  Yamaha , Onkyo or ????  I know this is a vintage forum so I hope I don't get booed off the site.   :D
I did find the speaker wires for the LaScalas.  They look like good ones, Hyperlitz with Banana WBT connecters. 

Tool Hound

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 02:09:14 PM »
I know this is a vintage forum so I hope I don't get booed off the site.   :D

My last purchase was an Atmos receiver.   As long as you don't go car audio on us, it's all good.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 03:49:27 PM »
Nothing wrong with some of the new stuff out there. I bought a Yamaha 681 a little while back and like it. I use it mostly for tv/movie but have also used it as a 2 channel amp for music every now and again. It's even got a phono input, but for me I have a separate dedicated phono setup.

If you just want an amp for music and not tv/movie, go towards integrated amp. Or a receiver that will allow you to turn off all the surround decoders. Trying to play 2 channel sources via mutli channel decoders is not a good experience.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 07:56:57 PM »
Trying to play 2 channel sources via mutli channel decoders is not a good experience.

It usually sucks but occasionally you find a happy accident.