Author Topic: Technics SL-Q210 and Rotel RA-311  (Read 2660 times)

Offline JamezDee

• FNG !!!
Technics SL-Q210 and Rotel RA-311
« on: October 17, 2018, 03:06:20 AM »
Hey guys,

I recently bought a Technics SL-Q210 turntable to use with my Rotel RA-311.

The turntable plays with no issues when I heard it at the seller’s place, however I have been unable to make the sound clean (noise on the channel) and it’s nowhere near as loud as using my iPhone as the input source.

Currently it’s connected to the phono input, although I think the ceramic input would be the better option? (Phono works without any issues with my iPhone as the input source)

Any ideas on how I can get a cleaner and louder sound?

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
Re: Technics SL-Q210 and Rotel RA-311
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 07:10:59 AM »
Can you try the turntable on another receiver, or use an separate phono preamp into a non-phono input on the Rotel ?   I'd also check the wiring on the cart.

Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 08:25:07 AM »
Have you rebalanced the turntable and checked the tone arm settings?     You didn't say what cartridge the new tt has, but I seriously doubt it is ceramic. Those were used on inexpensive tts back in the 50s -60s -70s  and do not have the required  RIAA curve if memory serves...  I could be wrong on that , but I don't think so

Also,  the lower volume in phono is due to the output of the cartridge. The term they use is "gain".  to equalize the two sources, since you are not using a HT receiver,  will require either a step up unit or a separate phono pre that has that feature.

But before you buy anything, make sure that all the settings on the tonearm are correct.
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 10:07:33 AM »
The ceramic input is not the correct one.   That is a magnetic cartridge.   As you seem to be new to vinyl my first question is did you connect the ground wire?   Lots of people who didn't grow up with records don't realize there are three connections to be made, not just two.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 10:10:45 AM »
Oh, and don't be alarmed if your phone sounds louder.   It's a very hot output.   Once you get the table functioning correctly, turn the volume on the phone down to meet that level.   You'll get cleaner reproduction with more dynamic range.