Author Topic: Anyone interested in a $200 Ultrasonic RCM?  (Read 15950 times)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Anyone interested in a $200 Ultrasonic RCM?
« on: October 18, 2018, 08:40:52 PM »
Some of us at AK are looking at a group buy.   This is such a slick system and such a great price that I thought some folks here might be interested (I'm looking at you, Pepe).   Some of you guys spent more than this on speaker cables.   

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/CE-GS-RoHs-Codyson-ultrasonic-vinyl_60657551731.html

Watch the video.   WOW!!! I LOVE that spindle design. That seems so much less fussy than the DIY ones with the spindle fitting into a keyhole on each end and water splashing everywhere as you remove the records. Count me as highly interested. I wish the video had sound. I'd like to know how loud the motor and US transducer are. Scroll down and notice the black and yellow version (Pittsburgh proud, baby!). I'm sold.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

Re: Anyone interested in a $200 Ultrasonic RCM?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 09:46:01 PM »
Now I'm not so sure.   I can't figure out how to estimate the shipping, so that may make it cost prohibitive.   I am waiting for more info.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 09:10:54 AM »
watching this closely.... 
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 09:14:23 AM »
The spindle is pretty slick, allowing you to clean multiple records at once.  Is there a vacuum though? I kind of feel like that part of the process makes a big difference.  I picked up a VPI cleaner for $275.00 - just for reference

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 11:01:51 AM »
Interested but skeptical. The records coming out wet is a turn off. Seems I’d have to re-rinse and vac dry them. However, that price is real good.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 11:37:19 AM »
None of the DIY units dry.   You have to get up to about two grand for a US system with a dryer.   For me, I would use this for records that didn't respond well to vacuum cleaning and I would vacuum clean them again after the treatment.   With Carl's US system they come out wet, and I just give them another quick clean after and I can tell you that the ultrasound definitely gets some albums much cleaner than just the vacuum.

I figure that perhaps the vacuum can't get off the 40 years of baked on deposits, but it can get off the tiny bit of cleaning fluid left on by the US.   If we can find a way to keep this under $300 with the shipping, I'm all over it, and you know how cheap I am.

Also, some people don't use any chemical in the US, just distilled water.   I guess the sonic waves are like sand blasting and no chemical is really necessary (but I haven't tried that, I've only read it).   I believe Carl uses a few drops of TergiClean in his US tank (hopefully he will correct me if I'm wrong).
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 11:43:39 AM by Sir Thrift-a-Lot »

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 12:19:49 PM »
I'm interested, especially after having a demo of this type of cleaner at Carl's last week.  I tried contacting the fellow who Carl bought his from but no reply yet.
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 01:20:42 PM »
None of the DIY units dry.   You have to get up to about two grand for a US system with a dryer.   For me, I would use this for records that didn't respond well to vacuum cleaning and I would vacuum clean them again after the treatment.   With Carl's US system they come out wet, and I just give them another quick clean after and I can tell you that the ultrasound definitely gets some albums much cleaner than just the vacuum.

I figure that perhaps the vacuum can't get off the 40 years of baked on deposits, but it can get off the tiny bit of cleaning fluid left on by the US.   If we can find a way to keep this under $300 with the shipping, I'm all over it, and you know how cheap I am.

Also, some people don't use any chemical in the US, just distilled water.   I guess the sonic waves are like sand blasting and no chemical is really necessary (but I haven't tried that, I've only read it).   I believe Carl uses a few drops of TergiClean in his US tank (hopefully he will correct me if I'm wrong).

With that said, I can see the advantage. Please let us know when you have more info. Seems like there may be a 500 unit minimum, yikes. Also looks to be other options like ordering 2 at $320 per unit plus shipping.

Thinking outside the box...if one of you were to obtain one of these, would you be interested in charging a buck or two or three to clean records? Might be a good way to lower your cost.

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 02:18:27 PM »
Interestingly enough the guy I bought the RCM off of was a chemist.  He made his own fluid with distilled water, alcohol, and foto-flo (or something close to that name, designed for use with film).  I actually have the recipe written on a huge jug of it that he gave me, I just remember it being extremely diluted.  Mostly water, some alcohol, tiny bit of "foto" something that is a discontinued product (i have some).  Cool guy, claimed to be the exact recipe of VPI cleaning solution - seemed to know what he was talking about.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 02:49:05 PM »

Thinking outside the box...if one of you were to obtain one of these, would you be interested in charging a buck or two or three to clean records? Might be a good way to lower your cost.

Well, the only people who I could easily market that to would be you guys, and I'd have a hard time charging most of you anything.   However, I can justify the cost by being able to put "ultrasonic cleaned" in my record ads.   I think there would be value in that both perceived and actual, to the record buying public.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 02:54:09 PM »
Interestingly enough the guy I bought the RCM off of was a chemist.  He made his own fluid with distilled water, alcohol, and foto-flo (or something close to that name, designed for use with film).  I actually have the recipe written on a huge jug of it that he gave me, I just remember it being extremely diluted.  Mostly water, some alcohol, tiny bit of "foto" something that is a discontinued product (i have some).  Cool guy, claimed to be the exact recipe of VPI cleaning solution - seemed to know what he was talking about.

Foto Flo is a floculant.   It was used in film processing (thus the name).   It makes dirt adhere to itself and not redistribute through the solvent (water).   I use a product sold on Amazon called "Tergi-Kleen".   One small tube makes between 100-200 gallons, so it ends up being practically free and it works great.   With a mentally challenged son and a young grand baby in the house, I don't need to be doing the whole chemistry thing.   I fill a 32 oz spray bottle with distilled water, add five drops of the solution and I'm done.   Simple, cheap, highly effective.

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2018, 11:40:20 AM »
I think Foto Flow is still available at Hobby Lobby or Hobby Town last I checked.  All of these cleaning solutions work to some degree.  Hell, even plain water will clean a dirty record.  Cleaning solutions also are very good in eliminating or reducing static.  I use the Tergitol that Stal noted.  Good stuff! 

I am sold on ultra sonic cleaners.  A lot of various DIY units and configurations are out there.  One of the unknowns for me is the effect of the various ultrasound frequencies.  There are several different transducer frequencies available.  20, 40, 60 L.  Which one is better or potentially harmful is still a subject of debate.
Carl

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2018, 06:49:34 AM »
This is not a $200 ultrasonic but what are thoughts about this one I am looking at?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282839885490
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot