Author Topic: Anyone interested in a $200 Ultrasonic RCM?  (Read 15940 times)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Anyone interested in a $200 Ultrasonic RCM?
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2018, 06:00:02 PM »
When you upgrade I call dibbs on this US system since my hand me down RCM went to you.    ;D

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2019, 02:51:47 PM »
While reading something else I saw this posted:

http://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/rushton-paul-diy-approach-ultrasonic-cleaning-lps/

EN, you've had your setup awhile, would you order all the same stuff again? Curious how the 6L tank is working out, looks like the 10L tanks are @ $120.

This is for us weirdo vinyl nuts, not sure the digital guys' DACs will survive a trip through the tank!  ;)

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2019, 08:11:27 PM »
I have had a 6L tank for two years.  Used it fairly frequently and like the results.  I was pondering buying a 10L tank as I could clean four lps at once with a wider tank.  That would be a benefit as more and more lp releases are two lps.  No more splitting an lp into two different cleaning cycles in the tank.

This technology for record cleaning is still being refined but is growing.  More and more DIY drives out there. 
Carl

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2019, 11:44:08 AM »
I have had a 6L tank for two years.  Used it fairly frequently and like the results.  I was pondering buying a 10L tank as I could clean four lps at once with a wider tank.  That would be a benefit as more and more lp releases are two lps.  No more splitting an lp into two different cleaning cycles in the tank.

This technology for record cleaning is still being refined but is growing.  More and more DIY drives out there.

How many LPs do you clean with the 6L tank at the same time? Seems there is an "argument" over the spacing between records, some say 1.5" minimum, others say 1". I'm leaning 10L tank with 4 record Sonic Spin.

Another question I haven't seen asked, do you use the cleaner for things other than vinyl? Jewelry, tools, grandma's silverware?

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2019, 10:39:30 AM »
I have been using the cleaner quite a bit.   It takes a while to establish a optimal routine.   I clean 3 records at a time.  My plan is to start listing some for sale on the various forums and EBay.  Hoping that 'ultrasonically cleaned' will be a attractive selling point. Definitely glad with the purchase.  Since I don't buy many 45 double LPs, three at a time works fine  Don't use it for anything else.
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2019, 11:40:58 AM »
Also wanted to mention that I got a discount on the Sonic Spin because I was fine with getting one that had "less than perfect" looks.  I had made an offer of $250 to them and they mentioned this.  It has a scuff or to but nothing noticeable without careful examination.   I see they have a specials page here

https://thevinylstack.com/specials/

Probably should look into getting a pump or at least filtering the solution with a coffee filter.  I've only been using dish detergent but will be ordering some Tergitol soon.
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline schwarcw

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2019, 08:35:54 PM »

How many LPs do you clean with the 6L tank at the same time? Seems there is an "argument" over the spacing between records, some say 1.5" minimum, others say 1". I'm leaning 10L tank with 4 record Sonic Spin.

Another question I haven't seen asked, do you use the cleaner for things other than vinyl? Jewelry, tools, grandma's silverware?

I clean three records at a time in the 6L.  I could do 4 with the 10L tank.

The 6L tank come with a basket to clean jewelry or parts but I have never used it for such.  I do have a small ultrasonic cleaner for jewelry, etc.
Carl

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2019, 04:56:03 PM »
Thanks guys. I've ordered a 10L tank and 4 record vinyl stack.

That was the easy part...been reading about cleaning solutions to be used...it's worse than cable or motor oil arguments. For my VPI I've mixed up my own solution so I plan to go do so again. After figuring out what I want to use, acquiring it is insane. $11 for a pint of fluid and $11 to ship it!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2019, 05:39:03 PM »
Thanks guys. I've ordered a 10L tank and 4 record vinyl stack.

That was the easy part...been reading about cleaning solutions to be used...it's worse than cable or motor oil arguments. For my VPI I've mixed up my own solution so I plan to go do so again. After figuring out what I want to use, acquiring it is insane. $11 for a pint of fluid and $11 to ship it!

So concentrated you only need drops.   I've had this vial for over a year and it's not even half gone, and I clean a lot of records.

https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Archivist-TergiKleenTM-Tergitol-based-Concentrate/dp/B019YI38Z2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1550097475&sr=8-1&keywords=tergikleen

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2019, 05:39:32 PM »

I clean three records at a time in the 6L.  I could do 4 with the 10L tank.

The 6L tank come with a basket to clean jewelry or parts but I have never used it for such.  I do have a small ultrasonic cleaner for jewelry, etc.

Carl - what solution do you use in your ultrasonic setup?  Homemade like Scorpio?

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2019, 06:34:30 PM »
Scorp,

Hit me up before you order. We can split the shipping.  Currently just using a drop or two of dishwashing liquid.  Probably need something a little more exotic....

Mike
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2019, 10:33:49 PM »
I ordered the last Tergikleen from Amazon, they had five this morning so I got nervous.

The Tergikleen wasn’t my first choice. I was looking to get Triton X100 and Hepastat 256. The Triton is $28 on Amazon or $22 ($11 plus $11 shipping) from Talas for a pint. You only use 20 drops per gallon. The Hepastat lowers static, but it’s almost $50 for a gallon and you use even less than the Triton. An alternative for the Hepastat is some type of makeup making chemical. I’m working on a different source for that stuff, but it will be a long shot.

EN, since I grabbed the last one I’ll split it with you if want half.

Honestly the threads on this stuff is crazy. Multiple 100 page threads, way too much info to dissect. Probably best to start simple and then tinker later. 

Offline schwarcw

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2019, 11:43:46 PM »
I use the Tergikleen. 
Carl

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2019, 12:07:01 AM »
The Hepastat lowers static, but it’s almost $50 for a gallon and you use even less than the Triton.

Get yourself a Zerostat.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2019, 12:01:35 PM »
Get yourself a Zerostat.

I've got one of those. If adding a couple of drops to the cleaning solution lowered the chances of static, why not? Even at $50 for a gallon it's cheaper than a Zerostat nowadays. 6/half dozen