Author Topic: Ultrasonic STYLUS cleaner  (Read 2204 times)

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
Ultrasonic STYLUS cleaner
« on: November 25, 2018, 04:41:23 PM »
The Music Direct catalog arrived. Before I pitched it, figured I get a laugh at some of the outrageous offerings, you know like a $595 USB cable. I came across the Flux Hifi Ultrasonic Electronic Stylus Cleaner for a mere $120. I've got a feeling the opinions on this will be all over the place, but we'd all agree a clean stylus is important.

I use a tiny stylus brush often and magic eraser every now and then. Seems to do the trick for me so I'm sticking with it.

What do you guys think, snake oil or ???
https://www.musicdirect.com/analog-accessories/flux-hifi-sonic-electronic-stylus-cleaner

OldiesButGoodies

Re: Ultrasonic STYLUS cleaner
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 05:25:03 PM »
The Music Direct catalog arrived. Before I pitched it, figured I get a laugh at some of the outrageous offerings, you know like a $595 USB cable. I came across the Flux Hifi Ultrasonic Electronic Stylus Cleaner for a mere $120. I've got a feeling the opinions on this will be all over the place, but we'd all agree a clean stylus is important.

I use a tiny stylus brush often and magic eraser every now and then. Seems to do the trick for me so I'm sticking with it.

What do you guys think, snake oil or ???
https://www.musicdirect.com/analog-accessories/flux-hifi-sonic-electronic-stylus-cleaner

The Soundsmith recommends using blu-tack,  but I ignore that advice and use the traditional brush.  This looks like a valid application of ultrasonic cleaning to me,  not snake oil!

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 05:52:58 PM »
those first came out in the mid/ late 70s and where very popular until owners started to have problems with their stylus/ styli. Then they quickly disappeared from the market. Not sure what changed with the new models but I'm happy with my Discwasher stylus brush, magic eraser and Zerodust.
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 07:07:44 PM »
I would not trust an ultrasonic stylus cleaner. It might loosen the diamond in the cantilever. ....Just a thought.
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 08:07:29 PM »
I use a cube of Magic Eraser.   Ultrasonic is great for vinyl as it is too soft for aggressive cleaning, but I'm pretty sure a diamond won't have issue with the very mild abrasive of Melamine.   I've been using it for probably five years now without issue.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 08:08:18 PM »
I agree not snake oil, just overkill.

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2018, 08:41:56 PM »
I used the traditional brush just last night. Was listening to a Roscoe Mitchell lp that was sounding disappointingly fuzzy.  Big dust ball on stylus from the previous record. 

Also have a DiscWasher stylus brush with the mirror on the flipside that is currently MIA. ( Not that my eyes can see that close these days.)
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2018, 09:39:49 PM »
Stylus cleaning isn't for dustballs.   Zerostats and carbon fiber brushes are for dust.   Stylus cleaning is for build up of debris.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 07:28:35 AM »
I have read that getting the stylus tip wet is not a good thing.  I use a brush or Blue Tac.  I also purchase a little puck type device that has a tacky gel, similar to Blue Tac in function that seems to work well. I don't remember what it's called, or who makes it (everything is still packed in boxes)..
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 03:45:45 PM »
Blue tac makes me nervous around a stylus. A friend swears by the gummy stuff that holds credit card to paper you get in the mail. I have big clumsy fingers and if something sticky gets stuck I'll likely wreck it doing some kind of crazy "surgery".

As far as liquids go, I'd be nervous about contaminating the cantilever. With some of the exotic metals used for cantilevers it would suck to have it react with a mineral in the cleaning agent.