Author Topic: Just saying hi!  (Read 7113 times)

Offline MXM1969

• FNG !!!
Just saying hi!
« on: January 09, 2019, 09:43:53 AM »
Hi.  I found this site while researching reel to reel tape machines.  I don't exactly have a vintage setup as of right now.  I dusted off an old turntable in late 2017 and purchased a new phono pre-amp, so I've been spinning some records.  I have a feeling 2019 will bring some vintage audio equipment my way!  I'll be lurking on this site, ha ha.
Cheers,
Matt

Offline geoffr

• Double Secret Probation!
Re: Just saying hi!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 10:57:33 AM »
greetings
Living room: Fisher 400, Thorens TD124, Arcam CD, Klipsch Heresy
Home office: Scott 222c or Fisher KX-200, Thorens TD124, Marantz CD + Peachtree DAC, Omega 3T desktop speakers and Deep Hemp sub
Basement: Rogue Cronus, Meadowlark Kestrel, Rega P25, Marantz CD

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 11:31:51 AM »
Welcome, Matt.

(I'm sure it's not the first time you've heard that one.)

What kind of table do you have?

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 11:34:55 AM »
Welcome Matt! I'm sure that your audio adventure will result in fruitful benefits!
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline MXM1969

• FNG !!!
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 12:55:13 PM »
Welcome, Matt.

That reminds me of all the 'guy with no arms and no legs' jokes:)

I'll tell you about the turntable if you promise not to laugh............  It is an old Technics SL-BD20.  I got it back up and running with a new cartridge, phono preamp, etc.  It works, so I got that going for me, lol

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 01:44:43 PM »
Welcome, Matt.

That reminds me of all the 'guy with no arms and no legs' jokes:)

I'll tell you about the turntable if you promise not to laugh............  It is an old Technics SL-BD20.  I got it back up and running with a new cartridge, phono preamp, etc.  It works, so I got that going for me, lol

We all start in this hobby somewhere.   My first table getting back into vinyl was a Fisher.   As long as you are enjoying it that is what matters.   Did you put a new belt on it?   I notice that is one of the Technics that doesn't have a strobe.   There is an app for your phone that you can check the speed with.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 01:51:41 PM »
Welcome. Like STaL said, as long as you're having fun it doesn't matter what you're using. That said reading here may be hazardous to you wallet. on the flip side, lots of knowledge and experience here to keep that hazard to a minimum.

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 03:29:33 PM »
Matt,
sayin' hi back at ya...  :)

Hope you enjoy your time here...

gdv
(aka George)
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 04:04:24 PM »
BTW, is your avatar a Fender Twin?   I'm a bassist.   What kind of music do you play?   What guitars do you favor?

Offline MXM1969

• FNG !!!
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 05:04:19 PM »
BTW, is your avatar a Fender Twin?   I'm a bassist.   What kind of music do you play?   What guitars do you favor?

Yes sir, it’s a 1973 Silverface:)  I picked that up recently.  It wasn’t touched by a soldering iron since it left the Fender factory.  It was blowing fuses and the speakers were in bad shape.  I replaced the electrolytic capacitors, new speakers, rebuilt the rectifier and negative bias circuits, new 3 prong cord, etc.  It should be good for another 50 years:)  I have quite a guitar, bass and amp collection.  Between a job with travel, 3 kids, a wife, and everything else, I play a lot of different styles of music typically 5-10 minutes at a time, ha ha.

Offline MXM1969

• FNG !!!
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 05:22:26 PM »
I appreciate all the replies / warm welcome!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 05:28:18 PM »
My grandfather had a Fender quad of about the same vintage, maybe a bit older.   He tore it down into a head and two 2x12 cabinets.   I still have them.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 08:11:28 PM »
Matt-welcome.  What kind of music do you like?  Sounds like you have a few tech skills.  If you are into R2R, let us know; a few of us tinker with the format.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline MXM1969

• FNG !!!
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 08:34:59 PM »
MacGeek, regarding reel to reel, I have been doing some research but I do not have one....... yet.  They are just so damn cool:)  I love to tinker and fix things.  I know just enough about electronics and amps to 1) not accidentally kill myself and 2) I have a decent chance of bringing old stuff back to life.

Offline MXM1969

• FNG !!!
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 08:44:15 PM »
Regarding musical interests, I am first and foremost a classic rock and guitar rock kind of guy.  I love the blues.  The last two vinyl records I purchased were Joe Satriani’s latest album and the current release of The Beatles Sgt Pepper’s Loney Hearts Club Band.  Rush has been my favorite band since grade school.  I have all of their early albums on vinyl.  I enjoy Joe Bonamassa.  If you take away modern pop country and rap, I can usually find something to appreciate in most other genres.