Author Topic: Resistor wire fix?  (Read 2743 times)

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
Resistor wire fix?
« on: January 16, 2019, 12:01:38 PM »
A friend of mine gave me a pair of Bose 601's to refoam.  >:D Before dumping money into it I decide to check and make sure all the drivers were ok. One speaker checks out ok, the other none of the tweeters worked. Opened it up and the light bulb is good. However, the wire on the resistor is snapped right at the edge of the resistor. Bose used film caps on these, so no need to replace them, if they needed replaced I'd just add new resistor as well. Buying two resistors is cheap enough, $1.90 - the shipping is 4x the total. He's paying, but trying to keep cost down for him. Anyone tried or succeeded in fixing these ceramic cement resistors? Me thinks paying the $8 shipping is easier and a better choice, but I'm stubborn.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

Re: Resistor wire fix?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 12:32:02 PM »
Whatever stressed that lead enough to cause it to snap couldn't have done that component any favors.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 02:33:30 PM »
I may have broke it pulling the insulation back. They use posts on the crossovers and the insulation was stuck in multiple places. Seems odd for the wire to break like that right at the block.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 02:43:07 PM »
Regardless, I would still be concerned that something inside may have been compromised.   If it was an unobtainium part I might try to solder the short, but for a common resistor I don't see why it's worth taking the chance.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 08:53:17 PM »
A friend of mine gave me a pair of Bose 601's to refoam.  >:D Before dumping money into it I decide to check and make sure all the drivers were ok. One speaker checks out ok, the other none of the tweeters worked. Opened it up and the light bulb is good. However, the wire on the resistor is snapped right at the edge of the resistor. Bose used film caps on these, so no need to replace them, if they needed replaced I'd just add new resistor as well. Buying two resistors is cheap enough, $1.90 - the shipping is 4x the total. He's paying, but trying to keep cost down for him. Anyone tried or succeeded in fixing these ceramic cement resistors? Me thinks paying the $8 shipping is easier and a better choice, but I'm stubborn.

If you have conductive glue handy this could be a place to try it:

https://www.sciplus.com/conductive-wire-glue-41172-p?gclid=CjwKCAiAyfvhBRBsEiwAe2t_i9h3Y7QiwId5sQFSpqmXtvzPwZbBSKPTpJtVmLL2RC3Rwfp20Kq1kRoCgXUQAvD_BwE

Trying to solder there may cause heat damage but you may try it to and check how it measures after.

I appreciate and empathize with your cheapness!

Pepe

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 11:35:05 PM »
I'm pretty sure that conductive glue is more expensive than a resistor.

Nobody is cheaper than I am.   I resent the implication.