Author Topic: Turntable/subwoofer blues  (Read 7019 times)

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
Turntable/subwoofer blues
« on: February 20, 2019, 12:08:01 PM »
I have the dreaded shakes!  :laugh: When I use my sub and turntable at the same time the sub begins to have a heart attack and overload. I switched out turntables with a little success but still not satisfactory. I have been told a lot of things to do...have some sorbothane coming to help isolate TT. Hard to get sub any further away because of limited space. Any ideas or snake oil treatments I can apply?

Shaking in the South
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Turntable/subwoofer blues
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 12:18:19 PM »
Can you wall mount your shelf?   Physical separation of the table and sub is the only real answer.   Taking the dust cover off when you play back can also be beneficial.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 12:20:46 PM »
Can you wall mount your shelf?   Physical separation of the table and sub is the only real answer.   Taking the dust cover off when you play back can also be beneficial.
No, turntable is in worst place on top shelf of stereo rack which is only about a foot from sub... ::)

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 12:23:02 PM »
a wall shelf would be the best step, but a sandbox might be equally as effective.  Have dealt with this problem myself recently and found that the majority of the problem was vibration through the turntable RCAs.
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 12:35:01 PM »
I have some sorbothane on the way. Hoping this helps.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 12:35:28 PM »
No, turntable is in worst place on top shelf of stereo rack which is only about a foot from sub... ::)

The whole rack acts like the soundboard of a guitar, sending vibrations into the cartridge.   If you can't move either device, your only solution is to turn off the sub when playing vinyl.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 12:36:44 PM »
Back in the day some pres would have a subsonic filter on them.   If you could find a pre or an EQ with one that could possibly help you out some.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 01:49:34 PM »
The sorbothane should work IF the resonance is coming through the TT base. In the short term, maybe adding mass under the table can tame it? Or get real nuts and chain it from the ceiling!

If the bass is shaking the arm, I don't know of a solution for that other than turning off the sub or turning it down.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2019, 02:10:42 PM »
Chaining from the ceiling is basically the same as wall mounting.   I had a friend who did that in his dorm room.   It worked great.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 02:27:52 PM »
Chaining from the ceiling is basically the same as wall mounting.   I had a friend who did that in his dorm room.   It worked great.
Unfortunately past the dorm phase 🎶

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 02:56:00 PM »

Not if you're a "slinger"  >:D

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 03:51:11 PM »
Back in the day some pres would have a subsonic filter on them.   If you could find a pre or an EQ with one that could possibly help you out some.
What about something like this... https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Harrison-Labs-FMOD-30Hz-Hi-Pass-Subsonic-Filter-Rumble-Reducer-RCA-USA/273442843730?epid=1350975286&hash=item3faa76ac52:g:zZMAAOSwjuFbjx24:rk:6:pf:0

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2019, 05:19:36 PM »
Free shipping.  Sure, looks like an easy fix.     

I am thinking of hanging a shelf on the wall for the turntable, after I decide on the amp/speaker combo once and for all.

Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2019, 06:48:32 PM »
What about something like this... https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Harrison-Labs-FMOD-30Hz-Hi-Pass-Subsonic-Filter-Rumble-Reducer-RCA-USA/273442843730?epid=1350975286&hash=item3faa76ac52:g:zZMAAOSwjuFbjx24:rk:6:pf:0

It's worth a shot.   In theory it should help.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2019, 07:20:26 AM »

I mounted a shelf above my equipment rack.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77