Author Topic: Hafler 500 back in rotation  (Read 7185 times)

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
Hafler 500 back in rotation
« on: March 07, 2019, 03:48:13 PM »
Hey folks,

Some time back, I noticed a scratchy channel on the Hafler and put it aside for the Parasound.   This past Monday I was loaned a very nice amp to "review" and it blows away the Parasound.  So I pulled the Hafler back out and the right channel is still low and scratchy.   I notice there are fuse holders on the back for the right and left channel.  The right channel fuse is blown.   I bought a couple packs of fuses at Advance Auto. (10A AGC fuses and 3A AGC fuses.).  The blown fuse was a 5A 3AG.  The left fuse is a reads 32 VOLT on one end and I can't make out the other end but it has a strip of metal rather than the thin wire that was on the blown fuse.  I installed two 10A AGCs and the Hafler seems fine.   Was just wondering if these are all basically the same fuses even though the 3AG is not the same as the AGC.

Thanks in advance
The Emperor
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
Re: Hafler 500 back in rotation
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 07:33:29 PM »
I would use the 10A fuses.  Read here: http://www.hifi-classic.net/review/hafler-dh-500-287.html
Carl

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 03:55:36 PM »
Might we inquire as to the 'very nice' amp.... inquiring minds, N@....
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 04:48:55 PM »
Friend runs a Hafler 500 on the mains of a pair of DQ-10"s. Pretty sweet setup especially with the DQ-1 subs.
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 12:01:39 PM »

Wish I could tell you more but I don't know much about it.   An audio guy I know emailed me and asked if I could give the amp he built a listen and give an opinion.   It has tubes on the input and transistors on the output.   Big, heavy and heats up the listening room quite nicely. 
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline Vpgh

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 01:22:02 PM »

Wish I could tell you more but I don't know much about it.   An audio guy I know emailed me and asked if I could give the amp he built a listen and give an opinion.   It has tubes on the input and transistors on the output.   Big, heavy and heats up the listening room quite nicely. 
@EmperorNorton, you right - it's hybrid tube-discreet transistors power amplifier that was designed to satisfy my listening preference like the sound clarity, powerful bass and, specially, something ephemeric to describe like deep involvement to music listening. My petition to Emperor was due to he has a lot of experience and wide spectrum of audio equipment in his own possession.

However, I looking for another person now to complete independent review of this particular homebrew amp. The person with "crazy" floorstanding speakers like Legacy, Focal and Dynlavy and listening different music genres and styles.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 02:20:07 PM »
I listen to literally everything but wouldn't trust my self (or more specifically my family) with a loaner from anyone.   I'm sure someone will volunteer though.

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 05:34:10 PM »
If you are in the area, which seems to be often, since I live within a stones throw of the Murrysville Goodwill, you are welcome to drop by and hear this piece.   It sounds great to my ear.

Just bring a few dog treats for Nellie and she'll allow you to leave in one piece.

Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 06:52:21 PM »

Hell's Bells, my man!  I run Dunlavys, have in my collection an Anthem Amp2 SE (hybrid, for comparisons sake) and listen to everything from Hiphop to country to stoner metal to jazz singers in an average evening... if you're looking for 'listeners', I'm game!

@EmperorNorton, you right - it's hybrid tube-discreet transistors power amplifier that was designed to satisfy my listening preference like the sound clarity, powerful bass and, specially, something ephemeric to describe like deep involvement to music listening. My petition to Emperor was due to he has a lot of experience and wide spectrum of audio equipment in his own possession.

However, I looking for another person now to complete independent review of this particular homebrew amp. The person with "crazy" floorstanding speakers like Legacy, Focal and Dynlavy and listening different music genres and styles.
Spendor FL9

Offline Vpgh

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 07:42:55 PM »
PM sent

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 09:19:51 PM »
RT- how do like your Mac D100?
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 10:04:11 AM »
RT- how do like your Mac D100?

I've not had a vast amount of time to listen (got into my system last night) but I really like it.  Not a complete digital panacea, but really bring a warmer, rounder, more 'musical' presentation to the fore front....  the clarity and detail of the M2Tech I was running were great, but came with a strident and sometimes aggressive edge that I didn't always appreciate.  It brings some of what I've always heard as defining the Mac house sound... rolled off harshness of the top end, a warm/round middle and a well defined 'tight' bass.  Nice to simplify the system as well.... and have a remote!
Spendor FL9

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2019, 07:19:51 PM »
I have been using the DAC in my MAC CD player and have similar experience.  TIDAL just informed me I can have MQA via my ipad, so I am hoping to give that a try this week and see if it changes my opinion
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2019, 04:24:54 PM »
Just to continue this thread a bit,  Vince came by for his superbly self designed and built amp and a few ultrasonically cleaned slabs of vinyl.   Naturally, I reconnect the Hafler and power up.  The light flickers, then I see a wisp of smoke from the power switch.  It's always something.  Anyway, I pull it from the rack, take it to the garage, and do a little reading. Apparently the switch is one of the few weak points.  I hooked it up downstairs and it powers up fine, no issues.  I plan to open it and take a look but think I just need to order a switch from EBay and may not even need to solder, as it looks like there are spade connectors on it.  I could use the practice though.
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline Vpgh

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2019, 05:53:27 PM »
Sad to read that, EN. I'll try to help you with the switch