Author Topic: Hafler 500 back in rotation  (Read 7183 times)

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
Re: Hafler 500 back in rotation
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2019, 07:47:37 PM »
Thanks and not a big deal.  Going to order a switch ($10) after I open up the Hafler.    I would like to use that almost new solder station at least a few times a year!!
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2019, 12:18:34 PM »
Opened up the Hafler and looks like switch should be an easy fix.   Also looks like nothing got fried.

Hopefully picking up a switch from a local forum member tomorrow (thanks, Ron!)

Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2019, 08:42:00 AM »
looks like you may not get to use your soldering station after all.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

Offline Vpgh

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2019, 03:32:26 PM »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Valve-6J1-DIY-Tube-Amplifier-Preamp-AMP-Pre-Amplifier-Board-Headphone-Buffer-Kit/264199008396?hash=item3d837cf08c:g:xD8AAOSwIo5awf~e

Unfortunately, any tube buffer doesn't fix the influence of NFB in SS amplifier and poor engineering. That's the reason why tube and SS amplifiers sound different in most cases. And, there is a magic of tube amps sound. Not just to "mellow" tube sounding or vintage tube equipment "charm" that is actually significant high-frequencies roll-off. The best way to describe the difference is compare the guitar's (actually, any "strings") or bell's record on SS and tube amp.
Otherwise, it will be cheap and easy-peasy solution for everyone.

Moreover, the BJT and MOSFET output stage amplifiers sound different! It is all about physics. However, the listeners separate on 2 categories: music lovers and audiophiles. Audio-collector is a different sickness :)

I had an custom tube amp with power output 6 (six) W per channel that works fine with my old Focal floor-standers and friend's big floor standing speakers PMC EB1i (retail was good over $10k). I say "fine" - plays rock like Rammstein or electronic like Depeche Mode similar impression as at live concert venue.

"The engineers make planes flying. The musicians make people crying." 

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2019, 05:25:34 PM »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Valve-6J1-DIY-Tube-Amplifier-Preamp-AMP-Pre-Amplifier-Board-Headphone-Buffer-Kit/264199008396?hash=item3d837cf08c:g:xD8AAOSwIo5awf~e

Unfortunately, any tube buffer doesn't fix the influence of NFB in SS amplifier and poor engineering. That's the reason why tube and SS amplifiers sound different in most cases. And, there is a magic of tube amps sound. Not just to "mellow" tube sounding or vintage tube equipment "charm" that is actually significant high-frequencies roll-off. The best way to describe the difference is compare the guitar's (actually, any "strings") or bell's record on SS and tube amp.
Otherwise, it will be cheap and easy-peasy solution for everyone.

Moreover, the BJT and MOSFET output stage amplifiers sound different! It is all about physics. However, the listeners separate on 2 categories: music lovers and audiophiles. Audio-collector is a different sickness :)

I had an custom tube amp with power output 6 (six) W per channel that works fine with my old Focal floor-standers and friend's big floor standing speakers PMC EB1i (retail was good over $10k). I say "fine" - plays rock like Rammstein or electronic like Depeche Mode similar impression as at live concert venue.

"The engineers make planes flying. The musicians make people crying."

My only point with that link was he keeps saying that he needs something to practice soldering on.   For $6 he can do a bunch of soldering and have a fun toy when he is done.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2019, 05:27:49 PM »
Oops, from my phone I didn't notice the shipping.   Here, $8 shipped.   Or just search eBay for whatever cheap kit you want to solder together...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC12V-6J1-Valve-Pre-amp-Tube-Board-Headphone-Amplifier-Acrylic-Case-DIY-Kits/112685340207?hash=item1a3c91d62f:m:m8ecC2EoYWceauyFWqOy14g

Offline Vpgh

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2019, 08:42:48 PM »

My only point with that link was he keeps saying that he needs something to practice soldering on.   For $6 he can do a bunch of soldering and have a fun toy when he is done.
STL, my point was about searching an Audio Graal - I pretty jealousy to people who happy listening the music with phone and earplugs ;) And, I couldn't afford most of the really high-rated and high definition stuff- for me smth like Focal Scala / Bricasti design / Gryphon Legato ...

Offline Vpgh

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2019, 08:46:47 PM »
Oops, from my phone I didn't notice the shipping.   Here, $8 shipped.   Or just search eBay for whatever cheap kit you want to solder together...
It changes all!

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2019, 09:40:55 PM »
Well, to keep the party going (since I am listening to a Wanda Jackson double LP "Let's have a party"

on Charley that I bought at Jims back in the 80s), I got a new switch from Ron today and the Hafler is rocking the room.  It took a while to pop the old one out but I was persistent and, after I got it out, I realized that I was unsure of the old configuration with the 3 wires and the 3 pins on the switch. Then, I remembered I posted a picture earlier on this very thread, which, of course,  made everything easier.

I should mention that I stopped at the new pop-up Goodwill store down the road and bumped into STaL, on his lunch break, I presume.

It was quite the busy day, as I stopped at the Social Security office at 12:10, only to learn that every office in the US of A closes at noon every Wednesday.  then stopped at G & G Fitness just over the hill, and found that they were closed too (permanently).   Well, I guess it wasn't that busy of a day.

Thanks to Ron for the switch and,  I'm signing off as ZZ Top informs me that Jesus just left Chicago.......
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers