Author Topic: Sunfire Cinema Grand back from repair @ Flannery's  (Read 3370 times)

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
Sunfire Cinema Grand back from repair @ Flannery's
« on: March 26, 2019, 01:51:01 PM »
ended up sending my Cinema Grand 5 x 200 to Bill Flannery at Flannery's Vintage Audio Repair in Lake Stevens Washington and just got it back yesterday.... Bill actually worked at Sunfire as a tech for a number of years up until they closed. No one knows more about Sunfire than Bill lol   and he has stock of both OEM and improved /replacement parts. Tom (maybe with Anders assistance) did a recap, but there turned out to be a more significant problem with transistors on the main board (center channel which controls everything else). Bill went through it very thoroughly and replaced everything even marginally out of spec and even bits that he knew had the potential to go bad... including both main voltage capacitors.  I'm only about 4 -5 hours into breakin, it was never played more than a half hour after that original recap a few years ago.  Sounding better and better and better as the minutes tick by. NOT an inexpensive repair by any measure, and the freight alone was over $250 RT.  I have way too many $$$ into this darn amp than I care to admit lol and way more than I'd ever be able to sell it for.  But per Bill, it should now outlast me lol.   Give it a week and stop by for a listen.
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
Re: Sunfire Cinema Grand back from repair @ Flannery's
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 04:04:38 PM »
Congratulations Jim! He has rebuilt several Sunfire plate amps for me with no issues .  On Sunfire he
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 10:11:26 AM »
Nice, looking fwd to hearing it!

Offline Burgh Fan

• FNG !!!
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2020, 08:46:43 PM »
Jim,

I just sent Bill Flanney the same amp to be repaired. I actually get it back tomorrow. I live in Pittsburgh as well, Oakmont. How is the amp treating you?
Anthony

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 06:24:54 PM »
I know you'll enjoy the heck out of it!  It does take a while to break in, but then it just becomes invisible... which is what I like in an amplifier!
Let me know... 

Jim
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline Burgh Fan

• FNG !!!
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 09:02:04 AM »
The amp sounds really good. I'm using good audioquest RCA'S. I want to use XLR, but now not sure what pin arrangement it uses. From my research before I bought it, it uses pin 2 hot and pin 3 cold. After reading more, some info says pin 2 cold and pin 3 hot. There seems to be different versions of the amp from 1996-2000. My amp is 06/2000. Flannery recommended using RCA cables that are shielded. What is your opinion?

Thanks,
Anthony
Anthony

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2020, 09:23:21 AM »
something I've never looked into. I use RCAs. I'd check with Flannerys and the Carver sites, they'll have the answer