Author Topic: DAC or no DAC???  (Read 6652 times)

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
DAC or no DAC???
« on: June 12, 2019, 01:12:46 PM »
Due to large amounts of sawdust being created in the garage, I'm no longer taking records in there. Currently I've got an older MacBook Pro and an older Denon AVR. The MBP will be loaded with a wide variety of digital files - some hi res vinyl rips, crap mp3's, lossless CD rips, etc. I run some loud tools at times and which drowns out the music, the rest of the time I'm listening, but not very critically. Currently I'm running a split RCA cable from the headphone port, should I be looking for a DAC? If a DAC, it's got to be on the cheap end. Maybe I'm overthinking the whole thing, but would a cheap DAC even outperform the built in DAC? Would I even hear the difference?

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

Re: DAC or no DAC???
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 01:27:24 PM »
Due to large amounts of sawdust being created in the garage, I'm no longer taking records in there. Currently I've got an older MacBook Pro and an older Denon AVR. The MBP will be loaded with a wide variety of digital files - some hi res vinyl rips, crap mp3's, lossless CD rips, etc. I run some loud tools at times and which drowns out the music, the rest of the time I'm listening, but not very critically. Currently I'm running a split RCA cable from the headphone port, should I be looking for a DAC? If a DAC, it's got to be on the cheap end. Maybe I'm overthinking the whole thing, but would a cheap DAC even outperform the built in DAC? Would I even hear the difference?

In that environment I wouldn't bother.   I can, however, provide links to some of my needledrops if you are interested.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 08:53:42 PM »
Agreed.  The headphone output is not awful.  I suggest full volume to the amps inputs
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 09:34:04 PM »
Thanks. STaL sure, I

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 09:34:39 PM »
I will check them out