Author Topic: Spica's on CL...  (Read 2877 times)

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
Spica's on CL...
« on: April 10, 2019, 09:55:43 AM »
Are these anyone's from the forum?  I don't need them, but surprised no one snagged these since they have been listed for a week...  Someone else noticed them also & posted last week...  MacGeek?  Scor333? 

$200 seems like a very fair price...  Thoughts?  Owner is "Josh"

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ele/d/pittsburgh-spica-tc50-speakers/6856939945.html

George
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Spica's on CL...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 11:34:21 AM »
I had a pair of SC-50s.   Nice sounding little speakers.   I got them at a yard sale for $.50, played them for a year and flipped them for $200.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 01:06:24 PM »
Are these anyone's from the forum?  I don't need them, but surprised no one snagged these since they have been listed for a week...  Someone else noticed them also & posted last week...  MacGeek?  Scor333? 

$200 seems like a very fair price...  Thoughts?  Owner is "Josh"

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ele/d/pittsburgh-spica-tc50-speakers/6856939945.html

George

I think $200 is fair market for these,  assuming they are in good shape.  SRP brand new was $420.  I have owned these and the newer TC-60s,  both are good,  I would wait for a pair of 60s if I were looking for a pair again. Great imaging, weak bass below 60hz.

Pepe

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 08:07:59 PM »
Wasn't me, but I did see them. They've always intrigued me. Every time they pop up, it's not the right time. Maybe someday.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 08:10:03 PM »
Not my post.

I remember hearing these when they were new.  Good imaging, but not able to handle much power and therefore not a good fit in a large room at lifelike volume levels
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 11:14:30 PM »
Not my post.

I remember hearing these when they were new.  Good imaging, but not able to handle much power and therefore not a good fit in a large room at lifelike volume levels

At the very least you would want to make sure they were truly crossed over with a sub and not just playing full range with a sub added.   I expect if these were high passed at 80Hz or so you could get to more than reasonable levels with them.   Pepe mentioned no bass, I think for a .5 cu ft box it is probably unrealistic to expect anything but.   I've never heard them, but I did enjoy their scarcer predecessor for quite a while.   The guy I sold them to was ecstatic.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 01:41:17 AM »
Not my post.

At the very least you would want to make sure they were truly crossed over with a sub and not just playing full range with a sub added.   I expect if these were high passed at 80Hz or so you could get to more than reasonable levels with them.   Pepe mentioned no bass, I think for a .5 cu ft box it is probably unrealistic to expect anything but.   I've never heard them, but I did enjoy their scarcer predecessor for quite a while.   The guy I sold them to was ecstatic.

We used F-mod filters back then,  at 50-60 hz, to protect them from heavy bass work.  Still have mine:

https://www.ebay.com/p/1-Harrison-Labs-FMOD-50hz-Hi-Pass-Subsonic-Filter-Rumble-Reducer-RCA-USA/13012037152?iid=390911171864&chn=ps