Author Topic: subwoofer with high level inputs (and outputs?) or down firing cabinet  (Read 6801 times)

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
Looking for a used / relatively inexpensive sub for the patio. If working it has to be one with high level inputs and preferably outputs, Down firing would be on my wish list too but not necessary lol  Working would be nice but I can replace driver or amp... smallish cabinet.  If it's just a cabinet would have to be down firing. send me a pic...  Let me know what you got laying around.
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
How much power do you need?   I have a couple cheapo things hanging around.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
power isn't the issue at all... it's more about the amp having the speaker wire input (not line level) and the high level output speaker wire connections.   
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

I have a HK SUB TS-15.   It has the passive x-over and is downward firing.   It won't blow you away but the WAF isn't bad and I'll sell it to you for what I paid if you want it (free).

https://www.amazon.com/Harman-Kardon-High-Performance-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B000K818SA

I have just the sub, not the satellites (which I know is what you want anyway, I just mention it because I didn't find a link for just the sub).

Here is a drawing of the back panel...

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/771679/Harman-Kardon-Sub-Ts15.html?page=6#manual
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 02:40:23 PM by Sir Thrift-a-Lot »

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
If that HK works and has the speaker wire inputs and high pass outputs, I'll gladly take it. Sounds like it ticks off all the boxes!  thanks.   sorry I missed your post earlier.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 09:28:12 AM by Jim Pittsburgh »

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

I was told that it works.   I'll fire it up and make sure later today.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

Well, Jim, the cabinet is good and the driver is good, but after about ten minutes the amp went from playing music to just making a crackling sound.   But if you want it it is yours.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
lol    sincerely, thanks for the effort!      give me a couple of days to see what I can find.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

I found this video and this is exactly what this unit is doing.   Didn't the manufacturers learn about the brown glue from Sansui in the 70s?   Or do they use the brown glue for planned obsolesce?   At any rate it looks like an easy fix.

I think it is an easier fix than trying to get a link to work on this board.

The name of the YouTube video is "SUB-TS15 making strange noises - easy repair".   Put that in Google and it will pop up.

It sounded pretty decent for the ten minutes or so it was working.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 09:50:34 PM by Sir Thrift-a-Lot »

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
Bought a used Dayton Audio Sub 1000 and tried it as an experiment with my outdoor speakers... sounded pretty darn bad. Figured it was either the crossover in the Dayton or the new cheap in-wall speaker wires I was using.  Moved the old but high end for the time, Velodyne sub from my son's living room outdoors and gave it a try... truly much, much better. ... replaced the speaker wires with better and we were in business! Sounded very good actually.  Sadly, I can't bring myself to use the Velodyne outdoors for the season. Will keep my eyes open for a better "inexpensive" sub with high level inputs and outputs.  I'm sure that the Dayton will sound fair using the line level inputs ... $50 and it's yours lol 

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

Bought a used Dayton Audio Sub 1000 and tried it as an experiment with my outdoor speakers... sounded pretty darn bad. Figured it was either the crossover in the Dayton or the new cheap in-wall speaker wires I was using.  Moved the old but high end for the time, Velodyne sub from my son's living room outdoors and gave it a try... truly much, much better. ... replaced the speaker wires with better and we were in business! Sounded very good actually.  Sadly, I can't bring myself to use the Velodyne outdoors for the season. Will keep my eyes open for a better "inexpensive" sub with high level inputs and outputs.  I'm sure that the Dayton will sound fair using the line level inputs ... $50 and it's yours lol

I just thought of what you should do.   If you want something good but weather resistant, you should Google "bucket sub" and make one of those.   You'll never worry about damaging the cabinet.   Run it with an outboard power amp.   Maybe Nick has one of those Niles (IIRC) subwoofer amps left.   You can just put the amp with the source and run speaker wire.

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
power isn't the issue at all... it's more about the amp having the speaker wire input (not line level) and the high level output speaker wire connections.

It is VERY easy to make a speaker level to line level adapter (2 resistors). In fact it is how I drive my subs. That would allow you to have a lot more sub woofer options. If you'd like I can show you how to do it.
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
Do you use a Y adapter to split the signal?   I using a stereo signal via Zone 2 from my HT receiver... via long distance 14 gauge wire runs.  Send me a picture of how you are doing it please, along with a diagram of the wiring/ resistors needed.   Thanks

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
Ron,
I think many of us would be interested in the line level mod...  If needed, PM me...

thanks,
George
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
Do you use a Y adapter to split the signal?   I using a stereo signal via Zone 2 from my HT receiver... via long distance 14 gauge wire runs.  Send me a picture of how you are doing it please, along with a diagram of the wiring/ resistors needed.   Thanks

You need one of these circuits for each channel. So a total of 2 X 1k Ohm resistors and 2 X 10k Ohm 1/4 Watt resistors. I made mine with 5-way binding posts for speaker level inputs and RCA jacks for the line outputs. Just run in parallel to your speaker connections at the output of your amp.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 01:21:47 PM by rgpit »
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600