Author Topic: What tickets are in your pocket?  (Read 15924 times)

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
Re: What tickets are in your pocket?
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2020, 09:45:33 AM »
Like I tell my bookie, "I hope I break even.  I need the money."

But if you're doing math that way, let me refer you to a good tax man!!!

I created a fabulous, new method of accounting on my first accounting exam in college. I was a natural book cooker.

Offline geoffr

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2020, 10:42:09 AM »
I can
Living room: Fisher 400, Thorens TD124, Arcam CD, Klipsch Heresy
Home office: Scott 222c or Fisher KX-200, Thorens TD124, Marantz CD + Peachtree DAC, Omega 3T desktop speakers and Deep Hemp sub
Basement: Rogue Cronus, Meadowlark Kestrel, Rega P25, Marantz CD

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2020, 01:18:56 PM »
Went to the Sturgill show last night. Like some other reviews out there, it was a WEIRD night.

Firstly, Tyler Childers was great. He's country, but not a paint by numbers, mass produced FM pop country. I know country gets a bad rap and the mere mention of it immediately turns people off, but I like it if it has substance and musical depth. They nailed it. The 10 minute plus version of House Fire was great and a highlight of the show for me.

On to Sturgill. This may be the Led Zeppelin III stage of his career. His first three albums were more country than anything, then came Sound and Fury, a big turn away from anything he's done. I've got friends who are country fans first and they were disappointed in the show. Many other fans in attendance must have been in that same boat as 30-40 minutes into his set the exodus to the doors started. I'd say at least half the crowd left. It was eerily "quiet", no buzz from the crowd. Likely those that left were Tyler fans or "country" Sturgill fans, or a bit of both. Anyhow, Sturgill used to have an Estonian guitar player who really knew his stuff. Since his departure I thought they'd strip the live show down or add a new guitarist. Neither, Sturgill is very proficient and shredded a Les Paul and Strat all night. Sound and Fury was the main focus and if you could get past his bare chest and huge gold chain it was a great set.

As for Peterson Center, it was my first show there and I'll be happy if I never go back. Ever. Traffic in and out was expected and didn't disappoint. The venue is huge inside and NOT designed for music, despite the huge clothe hammocks on the ceiling the sound just bounces off everything. My seats were 4 rows down from the top straight in back, easily a 1/4 mile from the stage. I don't like big, non musical venues and this one in my opinion sucks. I fear the venue out at Robert Morris will be the same, but without the traffic.