Author Topic: Kenwood KA7300  (Read 10336 times)

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
Kenwood KA7300
« on: July 06, 2019, 09:51:13 AM »
This is my daily driver amp. When I hooked up the outside speakers a few weeks ago the speaker selector was crazy scratchy and unreliable. Trying to use it while I was digging outside sent me over the edge. I've cleaned this beast multiple times since I've had it and it still has scratchy pots here and there one channel cutting in and out, then other times it's nice. Had some time yesterday to give it another deoxit bath, remove the dead stink bug inside(???), and remove some hairs (???). While inside looking around I found this:

Looks to me that resistor should be in the R72 hole. It's not loose, it is "soldered" to the resistor next to it. I think I circled the correct area on the wiring diagram. Any thoughts?

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

Re: Kenwood KA7300
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 10:01:52 AM »
I can't see the number on the other resistor, but if it is one of the ones to either side of that one on the diagram it should be fine.

But I'm a luddite.   Don't go by what I say.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 09:49:30 PM »
I suggest trying to clean, or at lease exercise the tape monitor switch(es).  Dirt in the tape loop controls (copy and/or monitor) may be contributing to the intermittent channel you are experiencing.  You might also check the balance control.  I once had a receiver that put out no sound due to very dirty monitor switches
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 10:36:25 AM »
Everything seems to work ok right now. All the buttons/knobs that don't get exercised will eventually get scratchy again. At some point, maybe this winter, I'd like to strip it down to recap it and clean it up. I also need to do a KR6600 sometime as well. At that point I'll get that resistor where it should be, doesn't seem to affect anything as far as I can tell. This amp came from the Belle Vernon guy who got it from the Evans City guy, so who knows what kind of history it has.