Author Topic: new Marantz receiver  (Read 5912 times)

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
new Marantz receiver
« on: August 28, 2019, 09:29:42 AM »
Been a rough couple of weeks and the topper was that my +10 year old Marantz SR6005 decided to give up the ghost, video wise. The darn HDMI output would no longer put out any video. So I ordered a new sr 8012  and four more speakers for front and rear height.... which will take it to a 11.2 system. I've hooked the unit up already and breaking it in, new speakers should be here by Thursday end of the day.  Can't wait! 
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: new Marantz receiver
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 10:25:57 AM »
Very cool.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 11:27:16 AM »
One step back, two forward. Is it just the video that went out? If so, you can probably still get some use out of it.

Thought of you this morning as I was getting pushed into the MRI tube. This getting older stuff sucks at times.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 04:12:30 PM »
dude, not fun is it?...  sure hope that it's not serious. Wouldn't wish what I have on anyone.
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 05:22:09 PM »
Speedy recovery to you both.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 08:02:16 AM »
Speedy recovery to you both.

Thanks, but...that ain't gonna happen. Another arthritis discovery and confirmation of nerve impingement. Both in lower back. Getting older ain't no fun sometimes.

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 09:21:04 AM »
Been out of the loop some...  Life, kinda' gets in the way...

Jim, wish you the best with your new Marantz...

Jim & Sean, hope & pray for relief from some of the pain...

George
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 05:41:27 PM »
Just wanted to provide an update....  The new receiver , an SR8012 , is kicking butt and taking names. Functionally it took a while to figure everything out, including one hard reboot lol. Very happy with it, It has plenty of power, for the eight surrounds and an amazing amount of flexibility. The new speakers which are for front height and wide surrounds are KEF E301s, they match the acoustic signature of the other speakers in the room and are perfect for the job.  I find it amazing that I had a little foresight when I built the room and wired everything to those positions lol   I know I'm in the minority here, but I really like music in surround mode. The new speakers really do make watching movies much more immersive.  Stop by for a listen!

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 07:41:10 PM »
I know I'm in the minority here, but I really like music in surround mode.

I've been preaching the surround music gospel for a couple years now.   I just had Rural Tom over for a listen and he seemed to enjoy the experience.   He didn't gush over it like Pepe did, but seemed to enjoy it never the less.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 09:55:51 PM »
I can appreciate stereo, but find surround much more realistic.  Glad we have room here for everyone's thoughts and opinions.

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 05:40:58 AM »
I know I'm in the minority here, but I really like music in surround mode.

I've been preaching the surround music gospel for a couple years now.   I just had Rural Tom over for a listen and he seemed to enjoy the experience.   He didn't gush over it like Pepe did, but seemed to enjoy it never the less.

I did indeed enjoy your surround system!  That being said... I'm not a real gusher!  LOL    ;D
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 09:28:24 AM »
Glad you're liking the new receiver.  Pics?