Author Topic: War and Peace - the amplification turmoil  (Read 4025 times)

Offline Vpgh

• Double Secret Probation!
War and Peace - the amplification turmoil
« on: August 24, 2019, 03:03:29 PM »
"If Grandma had a dick, she would be a Papa" (informal quote translation of Ukrainian writer Nikolai Gogol "Marriage")

Me, like all of music lovers, have had some thoughts regarding amplifier choice (As all of music lover, I have been ponding a lot about the amplifier choice). I used to have  SS amplifier, in my teenage -imagine: The louder is better :) Some time ago I tested really rare (in terms of age) tube amplifier with mixing feelings - it sounded amazing with full-range open baffle speakers, BUT, modern speakers played with .... my perception was similar like old pal sings Pavarotti!

I knew at that time the tubes (valves British speaking) perform the best with the voltage gain, however, many of well-regarded companies produce tubes only amplifiers.

I'm very poor guy (and cheap, actually - I can drive 50 miles for some free naturally grown zucchini ;). That's why I don't have kind of Voice of the Theatre speakers pair in setup to complete really good MC275 with Lenco turntable.

My eternal love are Focal speakers, which I have been owned since late '90. Different models, but always incredible technology of W- sandwich (American favorite, yeah!) for low-frequencies reproduction  and famous inverted tweeter (inspired by EPI probably) are still my favorites. Unfortunately, almost impossible to use tube amplifier with those Focals- thay are current hungry, with crazy drops in impendence - lowes at 3 Ohm which is pretty similar to schwarcw Legacy...

Finally, I've written all known to me words, here is the question:
WHAT IS the 1st tube-transistor hybrid amplifier?
Except legendary McIntosh MA-230 I still have in rotation.

Thanks

« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 03:19:34 PM by vpgh »

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
Re: War and Peace - the amplification turmoil
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 08:06:42 AM »
Not sure of the original, but I have 2 currently... an Anthem Special Edition Amp-1 and a Llano Trinity 200.
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 05:12:58 PM »
Not sure why there is Gogol quote on a thread titled "War and Peace", but that's just me. 
I'll put "Dead Souls" on the reading list as soon as get to "Anna Karenina" and "The Brothers Karamazov."  They are both on this bookshelf that I inexplicably have in the listening room.   

I don't know much about this hybrid history.  I have been busy looking up "Sansui blue smoke" since my AU9500 just crackled loudly, about a week after I swapped out the Hafler for it.   A wise man once said "I love this hobby."  I think it was Nick........
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline Vpgh

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 06:26:33 PM »
Not sure of the original, but I have 2 currently... an Anthem Special Edition Amp-1 and a Llano Trinity 200.
Thank you for reply,
I have a couple of hybrid amplifiers right now: Luxman on lower side,  and my Satie. Had Counterpoint SA-12 in rotation couple month last year also.

Tom, what's your A/B comparison between Anthem / Llano? 

Offline Vpgh

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 06:33:55 PM »
Not sure why there is Gogol quote on a thread titled "War and Peace", but that's just me. 
I'll put "Dead Souls" on the reading list as soon as get to "Anna Karenina" and "The Brothers Karamazov."  They are both on this bookshelf that I inexplicably have in the listening room.   

I don't know much about this hybrid history.  I have been busy looking up "Sansui blue smoke" since my AU9500 just crackled loudly, about a week after I swapped out the Hafler for it.   A wise man once said "I love this hobby."  I think it was Nick........

The positioning for hybrid amplifiers is very unstable: Tube lovers don't ready to accept the transistors in the path, Tough SS guys have no idea regarding tubes inside. In some case it might cause the colorful talks on discussion boards.
That's the reason ;)

Where is Nick? We are waiting for him!

Please PM me about Sansui with description of the issue.

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 08:00:19 PM »
While hardly vintage, here is Macs newest entry in the tube/transister hybrid market

https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/integrated-amplifiers/MA352

I don't see a balance control, but some of the knobs may be dual fucntion
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Vpgh

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 08:37:24 PM »
While hardly vintage, here is Macs newest entry in the tube/transister hybrid market

https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/integrated-amplifiers/MA352

I don't see a balance control, but some of the knobs may be dual fucntion
Seems like next gen of MA252, announced 2 years ago.

However, looking smth like EmperorNorton said - audio history.

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2019, 02:16:08 PM »
Thank you for reply,
I have a couple of hybrid amplifiers right now: Luxman on lower side,  and my Satie. Had Counterpoint SA-12 in rotation couple month last year also.

Tom, what's your A/B comparison between Anthem / Llano?

The Anthem is fairly mediocre overall, nothing wrong with it just nothing really stands out.

The Llano is rather nice, the ability to swap through a variety of different tubes is a big bonus... the ability to shape the amp in relative to the rest of the gear.  Great amp, but it may have to hit the chopping block... I think I'm going to want more muscle for the new Duntechs.
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9

Offline Vpgh

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2019, 06:25:31 PM »
Listening my Luxman lv-105 right now. Definitely, it's a nice little everyday amp! Especially, if you don't drive 5-7' monster speakers pair :)