Author Topic: Picked up some Mach One's  (Read 6981 times)

Offline Tiga

• FNG !!!
Picked up some Mach One's
« on: February 17, 2010, 04:21:57 PM »
One of the earlier versions, the 40-4024a and they are in great shape.  They may not be Hi-Fi but they are Hi in the coolness factor and I'm enjoying the way they sound.  I actually get excited when I know I'm going to go down to the mancave and to see and listen to them.  I've attached a picture.
Tiga

Offline thuffman03

• Zen Master
  • CarverFest Evictee
Re: Picked up some Mach One's
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 06:15:02 PM »
Very nice.  What amp are you using to drive them?
Got Carver?

BB3

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 09:13:09 PM »
I'm Really Liking Your Setup, Tiga. It's Quite Impressive Sir.

-----Bill(BB3)

Offline Tiga

• FNG !!!
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 06:18:13 AM »
Very nice.  What amp are you using to drive them?

Thank you. Right now it's a Sansui 5500.  Soon it will be a Sansui 9090 (once I get it working).

Offline Tiga

• FNG !!!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 08:22:48 AM »

-----Bill(BB3)

Thanks for the kind words Bill - it's a little disorganized as the whole basement/mancave construction was halted when my son was born 7 months ago.  Luckily I was able to get the walls painted - the projector mounted and a homemade screen put up. Still a cool place to hang out. 

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 08:25:12 AM »
KOOL!!!!!!!        8)      8)      8)
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

BB3

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 09:53:11 AM »

-----Bill(BB3)

Thanks for the kind words Bill - it's a little disorganized as the whole basement/mancave construction was halted when my son was born 7 months ago.  Luckily I was able to get the walls painted - the projector mounted and a homemade screen put up. Still a cool place to hang out. 

You're Welcome Tiga.........I Fully Understand About The Above. I'm Sure That You've Really Got Your Hands Full, Which Just Makes Your Setup That Much More Impressive In My Mind, Tiga.

OH ! And Did I Mention Congratulations On The Birth Of Your Son ? :)-----BILL(BB3)

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 06:46:35 PM »
Nice cave setup! ;D
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline Tiga

• FNG !!!
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 12:44:44 PM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

OH ! And Did I Mention Congratulations On The Birth Of Your Son ? :)-----BILL(BB3)
[/quote]

Many thanks!  I think we have a future audiophile here by the way he enjoys the music I play for him. My two year old daughter however usually just says.."No, watch Barney!". 

Offline Magnaryder

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Ray Campbell, Rush chairman, damn glad to meet you
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 05:49:44 PM »
Funny, I've heard good things about the Mach One.

Barney....Vosh used to like Barney the twins never did. They like my rig and know the difference between music done right and music done wrong. Bob has even talked to them on the phone.

ray
Magnaryder-EAR Yoshino V20 Integrated amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Rega P3TT,SME 3009 arm, Grado Statement Master1 cart, 2018 CarverFest 275 Amplifiers, CarverFest 2011 EL84 amplifiers Nos 50/51 Stax Earspeakers, Spatial Audio M3 OB loudspeakers and the Carver Research DarkStar sub.

Offline Tiga

• FNG !!!
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 05:50:32 PM »
I've given these a little listening time and I'm pretty impressed.  There seems to be a lot of varied opinions on these speakers out there, which is one of the reasons I wanted them.  What I like is how they just push the sound out into the room - even at low volume levels (not sure how good of a description that is).  People tend to call these a "rock" speaker but everything I've been playing on them sounds nice - even some FM classical on DUQ.  This morning I hooked them to my little Kenwood KR-4140, which is a small, low watts, ugly, but sweet sounding receiver.  I played some Ray LaMontaigne and it was very enjoyable.  Smoother than I would expect for this type of speaker.  Apparently there were a few different versions of these speakers and from what I've read the earlier versions a bit better. I'm sure there are different opinions on that however. 

I know these aren't an audiophile's dream speaker - but they have a quality all their own and sure are a lot of fun.  I haven't had a chance to really crank them yet - can't wait for that. 8) 

Hopefully tonight I'm going to hook them up to my Onkyo 606 and run Audyssey EQ and see what that gives me.  More fun!
Tiga

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 10:16:52 PM »
I have heard a couple pair of these over the years. One time was with a high powered Pioneer Sx-1080, they sounded o.k. The other time was with a low power, vintage tubed receiver, I think a Fisher 500, or Scott. The tubes sounded fantastic. If you can score one that works properly, don't pass it up.

Mike 

Offline Tiga

• FNG !!!
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 10:58:52 AM »
I have heard a couple pair of these over the years. One time was with a high powered Pioneer Sx-1080, they sounded o.k. The other time was with a low power, vintage tubed receiver, I think a Fisher 500, or Scott. The tubes sounded fantastic. If you can score one that works properly, don't pass it up.

Mike  

Thanks for the advice! I'll keep my eye out.
Dave
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 11:14:30 AM by Tiga »