Author Topic: Ortofon OM20  (Read 1773 times)

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
Ortofon OM20
« on: December 02, 2019, 01:22:48 PM »
Over the weekend I was working on a few turntables, I found a Ortofon OM20 lodged inside the base of a parts table I bought awhile back. The stylus was knocked off. I never owned an Ortofon so I figured I'd look it up to see what stylus goes for...WOW...just shy of $200! Further searches show some generics available. So I put the cart under the magnifying lamp to inspect it closely and some jack ass tried to solder a headshell lead to it. Soldering carts is just bad, the internals can't handle the heat. Should I pitch it? I'm not aware of a way to test it without a stylus. Gambling on a stylus just doesn't seem smart.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

Re: Ortofon OM20
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 02:57:56 PM »
Over the weekend I was working on a few turntables, I found a Ortofon OM20 lodged inside the base of a parts table I bought awhile back. The stylus was knocked off. I never owned an Ortofon so I figured I'd look it up to see what stylus goes for...WOW...just shy of $200! Further searches show some generics available. So I put the cart under the magnifying lamp to inspect it closely and some jack ass tried to solder a headshell lead to it. Soldering carts is just bad, the internals can't handle the heat. Should I pitch it? I'm not aware of a way to test it without a stylus. Gambling on a stylus just doesn't seem smart.

You can put an ohm meter across the two contacts for each channel, but I'll be shocked if it isn't open.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
Re: Ortofon OM20
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 07:35:58 PM »
If it wasn't dead, it IS now. Tried to pluck the solder off the lead to test it, the whole lead slid right out.