Author Topic: Travel suggestions  (Read 5145 times)

Offline Vpgh

• Double Secret Probation!
Travel suggestions
« on: January 01, 2020, 10:45:08 AM »
Happy new year to everyone!

I love to travel. I've visited enough European & Asian countries. I have been in some great American cities as Washington DC, NYC, Tampa/St. Pete, Cleveland. Now, I have some free miles on my CC to burn. Please suggest me idea for 2020 Getaway:
- Boston
- Las Vegas
- LA
- SF

Something else?

Thanks

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
Re: Travel suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 11:46:12 AM »
Greetings Vince, I would suggest Boston as it's relatively close.  The drive is about 13 hours depending on stops and traffic.  Walk the "Freedom Trail" https://freetoursbyfoot.com/the-freedom-trail/

Lot's of things to see on the way.  I enjoy Cape Cod every Summer.
Carl

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 12:02:23 PM »
I suggest Boston and/or SF. Ditto Carl's comment about the trail.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline geoffr

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 12:53:22 PM »
We just got back from a week in San Francisco. A great walkable city with short drives to an amazing coast, redwood forests, etc. Terrific restaurants. Much different from any East coast city; if you
Living room: Fisher 400, Thorens TD124, Arcam CD, Klipsch Heresy
Home office: Scott 222c or Fisher KX-200, Thorens TD124, Marantz CD + Peachtree DAC, Omega 3T desktop speakers and Deep Hemp sub
Basement: Rogue Cronus, Meadowlark Kestrel, Rega P25, Marantz CD

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 01:46:43 PM »
I lived in Boston for eight years.   If you decide to go that route and have any questions HMU.

Offline Vpgh

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2020, 03:34:51 PM »
Greetings Vince, I would suggest Boston as it's relatively close.  The drive is about 13 hours depending on stops and traffic.  Walk the "Freedom Trail" https://freetoursbyfoot.com/the-freedom-trail/

Carl,
Happy New Year and thanks for suggestions.
I shouldn't drive, we have a free flight to almost everywhere. My main b concern is cultural events and history, wife's accent for a city "vibe".

Offline Vpgh

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2020, 03:36:09 PM »
Mark, thank you!
I ll keep in mind.

Carl,
I shouldn't drive, we have a free flight to almost everywhere. My main b concern is cultural events and history, wife's accent for a city "vibe".

Offline Vpgh

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2020, 03:39:25 PM »
We just got back from a week in San Francisco. A great walkable city with short drives to an amazing coast, redwood forests, etc. Terrific restaurants. Much different from any East coast city; if you
Thank you,
My son-in-law said after his trip to SF last year that is "crime city", isn't it?

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2020, 07:43:16 PM »
A prior job's home office was SF. Made many trips out there and it's a great city.

I prefer smaller towns where things are more laid back. One of my favorite trips was Asheville, NC. Beautiful. If you like scenery, drive west out of Asheville through the mountains.

Out of everywhere I've been, Denver has to be near the top. Nashville was fun, but that was a bit before it became "the Hollywood of the South".

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2020, 08:28:13 AM »

Carl,

Never been but Id go to New Orleans.   Lots of music culture, history and atmoshere   Probably some good record stores too. 
San Francisco or LA would be good too.   Lots of destinations (national parks/historical sites) 
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 08:53:21 AM »
Having done a lot of traveling, both before and post retirement, I'd suggest: New Orleans, Charleston SC , Asheville NC, Toronto, Montreal and Bar Harbor are all among our very favorites. Make sure that take a "foodie" tour of local restaurants while visiting wherever you decide to go. Those tours sound corny, but really turned into the smartest thing we've done. lol we took one in Bar Harbor and found a restaurant that we ended up eating at a total of 4 times... the very best lobster rolls in the region.
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2020, 01:12:54 PM »
Though I haven't traveled much, I will second your suggestion of SF.  Last year my GF and I flew into SF, hung around the city for a few days and did some urban exploration, then rented a car and drove up the coast (HW 101 and 1) to the Avenue of the Giants in the redwoods.  Great food, culture, nature, etc.

Regardless of where you end up, enjoy it to the fullest!

Offline Vpgh

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2020, 02:37:00 PM »
Having done a lot of traveling, both before and post retirement, I'd suggest: New Orleans, Charleston SC , Asheville NC, Toronto, Montreal and Bar Harbor are all among our very favorites.

Thank you, Jim. I considering US cities at this time only: I'm relative novice in US and I would like to have my own impressions regarding the most contradictory perceived country in the world.

Make sure that take a "foodie" tour of local restaurants while visiting wherever you decide to go.
That's the sensitive part of mine! I love to eat local food everywhere traveling. I had prepared to dining for real food (slow-food specially) whenever I visited: NYC, Tulum (MX), Vienna  or Florence (Italy) - so long list to remember.

Though I haven't traveled much, I will second your suggestion of SF.  Last year my GF and I flew into SF, hung around the city for a few days and did some urban exploration, then rented a car and drove up the coast (HW 101 and 1) to the Avenue of the Giants in the redwoods.  Great food, culture, nature, etc.

Regardless of where you end up, enjoy it to the fullest!
Thanks!

Never been but Id go to New Orleans.   Lots of music culture, history and atmoshere   Probably some good record stores too. 
San Francisco or LA would be good too.   Lots of destinations (national parks/historical sites)
I miss you, Mike.

At this point, most of the bids are between SF on the West .vs. Boston in New England.
Waiting till Sat..

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2020, 05:30:19 PM »
One more vote for New Orleans.  Eat at Commanders Palace-one of the best meals in my life, except I don't like the coffee down there.  Check the dress code; no shorts at Commanders.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2020, 11:33:06 AM »
Love Commanders Palace... been there at least a half a dozen times. I prefer Brennan's though... but have not been to their new location. I use to love the old one, and view the antique political cartoons they had upstairs.
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...