Author Topic: Rotel RA-311 Volume Control Issues - Broken Spring?  (Read 2036 times)

Offline JamezDee

• FNG !!!
Rotel RA-311 Volume Control Issues - Broken Spring?
« on: April 26, 2020, 07:01:03 AM »
Hi Vintage HiFi-ers,

I have another question about my old Rotel RA-311 that perhaps someone could help with.

It recently developed an issue whereby it sounds like something was scraping on the inside of the amp, when the volume knob was turned.

Upon opening, I could see a 'wire' poking out from the volume control pot, which I suspect to be a spring.

I imagine the easiest fix would be to replace this part? However I'm not sure where to get started in finding a replacement. Perhaps someone could guide me as to what I'm looking for?

I've also added a video to youtube to hear the problem - http://youtu.be/YoTok_feBzA

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Offline MATT0404

• Double Secret Probation!
Re: Rotel RA-311 Volume Control Issues - Broken Spring?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 01:46:35 PM »
Can you share the link to your video?  I don't see it in your post.

Looking at the picture, I don't see anything particularly out of sorts.  I also don't see the wire/spring you're referring to.  There appear to be some posts sticking up from the PCB with wires coiled around them.  The coiling of the wire around the post is just the mechanical connection of the wire to the post, it's not a spring of any sort. 

One thing you may check is whether the backside of your volume knob is making contact with the faceplate.  It may have been bumped and pushed tight against the faceplate and, when you twist the knob, it can make a scraping sound.  My Anthem preamp does this from time to time.  I just loosen the set screw on the knob, pull it out on the shaft a bit, then snug the set screw back down.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 03:01:53 PM »
I wish I could see the video.   At face value I am wondering if this isn't just a DeOxit issue.

Offline JamezDee

• FNG !!!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 06:11:14 PM »
Apologies guys, here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoTok_feBzA

Offline JamezDee

• FNG !!!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 06:12:11 PM »
youtube.com/watch?v=YoTok_feBzA

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 12:05:53 AM »
We apologize for our wonky board.   Does that sound have any effect on the music playing?   To be honest, it just sounds to me like the arm sweeping over the contacts then making a click as it hits the end of it's run.   I don't know that there is anything actually "wrong".   I suggested DeOxit above.   If that sound bothers you I might suggest a similar spray called FaderLube.   It might lessen the friction and therefore reduce that sound.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 07:40:29 AM »
I agree with STaL, but I have not heard a volume control that is that mechanically noisy.  Since I may have my computer volume too high, how loud is it?
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 09:59:10 AM »
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600