Author Topic: MoFi Studiodeck  (Read 4098 times)

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
MoFi Studiodeck
« on: September 11, 2020, 12:03:35 PM »

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

Re: MoFi Studiodeck
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 02:45:53 PM »
As of right now...it's really got me aggravated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=6CJnBt_DnR8&feature=emb_logo

My first thought is that the arm must need lubricated.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 03:19:55 PM »
MoFi though the same thing, that it needed lubed. Nope, that's not it. Last night I got adventurous and took the arm off. It's beyond basic and underwhelming for an upscale table. A yoke, a hole drilled through the arm and a pin. When the counterweight is at the extreme ends of its travel the arm moves without hesitation. Once you start getting closer to zero balance, something is making it "stick". My current theory is the tonearm wires got tugged out of whack when the previous took the cart off. I think they are contacting the pin "sometimes" and that's the resistance. I have no reason to believe the previous owner did something nefarious, he knew his stuff and why wouldn't he have Mofi warranty it? Anyhow, I'm moving forward giving him the benefit of the doubt. There's seriously no markings or any signs of abuse.

It's crazy as this deck is 1000 times simpler than the Duals I have...and 1000 times more infuriating at the moment.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 07:37:42 PM »
Which way does it stick?  Left and right, up and down, or both?
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 09:22:51 PM »
Which way does it stick?  Left and right, up and down, or both?

Up and down. Called Mofi and they're stumped as well. It's going in for service...in for a penny, in for a pound.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 09:52:04 PM »
Whatever is sticking will work it's way out in shipping and they will laugh at you.   If it were me that's how it would go down anyway.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 07:56:09 AM »
Whatever is sticking will work it's way out in shipping and they will laugh at you.   If it were me that's how it would go down anyway.

I had that EXACT thought, but then it'll get out of whack on the way back...and 2020 will continue kicking my ass.

Offline JLeb

• FNG !!!
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 12:22:04 PM »
Ah man, that stinks that you're having trouble.  I was just trying to help someone find new gear when I posted that Craigslist link, I feel kinda bad!  I hope MoFi will sort it out for you.

FWIW I have one of their phono preamps and I enjoy it, totally different hardware though.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 12:55:17 PM »
No worries, these things happen. A good friend of mine has the Studiodeck, Mofi cart, and Mofi Phono pre. I initially dismissed the ad, then after hearing his setup, I went for it. I finally got the RMA from Mofi, so hopefully I'll get it shipped out today. The whole balance issue just has me completely perplexed. I've been real lucky overall buying used, I was sort of due for this.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2020, 03:37:41 PM »
The turntable arrived back home a short time ago! Can't wait to unbox and set it up, may take a couple days for that to happen.

The flexi rack I built a few years back is a bit too shallow for the Mofi, the power cord sticking straight out the back of the deck is the main culprit. I have a plan for a new and improved rack, but it's going to take a week or so to complete. I brought home some unused oak flooring that's probably 40-50 yrs old. The plan is to cut off the tongues and grooves and sandwich them together like a butcher block. It's going to way a metric crap ton, but it will be deeper, slightly taller, and better overall.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2020, 11:48:04 PM »
the power cord sticking straight out the back of the deck is the main culprit.

Is it a standard C13?

https://www.amazon.com/14AWG-Conductor-Connector-Socket-CNE592015/dp/B01DGETLRO

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2020, 10:38:41 AM »
Is it a standard C13?

https://www.amazon.com/14AWG-Conductor-Connector-Socket-CNE592015/dp/B01DGETLRO

From what I remember, yes. I was thinking of getting a couple of those, this isn't the first time a power cord has been an issue.

That's not going to stop construction...the old rack has been assigned to my daughter's room so I NEED a new rack now!

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2021, 10:18:24 AM »
I finally got the Mofi unboxed and set up. I'm still working on the new rack, its currently drying and waiting on a few parts and a finger to heal...routers and fingers shouldn't argue about sharing the same space and time, the finger will lose every time. No ER was needed, just a dumb mistake. I hope to have the rack together and set up sometime this week. The old rack is set up in my daughter's room for her tv/devices.

First off, the reason I was given for the malfunction was "the tonearm height was adjusted outside factory limits".  ??? No where in the manual does it suggest or imply adjust the height has limits, still not 100% understanding how this affected the balancing. They also found the headshell was cracked and a scratch on the platter. $39 for the headshell, 299 for a platter. I passed on the platter as it just a superficial scratch. In the end, I was not charged for anything as a courtesy for taking so long. I was very patient waiting to get this table back, so that was a very nice gesture from Mofi.

While unboxing the turntable I thought they just dropped a new table in the box. Everything looked brand new with all new accessories (power cord, patch cables, tools, etc). Took a very close inspection to tell it wasn't a new table.

I only had time to play a few sides on it, everything works and sounds great. I'll share some pics of the rack/setup in a few days. Here's a teaser of where it all started...

Yes, that's a Gadsen flag. It's hanging there in regards to its original creation and use, NOTHING more. I'm not a part of any group that believes that flag is a symbol for their organization.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2021, 05:28:58 PM »
Only if the router nicked your brain rather than your finger.

Enjoy the table!

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2021, 09:54:37 AM »
My brain has more than a few spots I'd like to trim off...