Author Topic: MoFi Studiodeck  (Read 179 times)

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
MoFi Studiodeck
« on: September 11, 2020, 12:03:35 PM »
As of right now...it's really got me aggravated.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

Re: MoFi Studiodeck
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 02:45:53 PM »
As of right now...it's really got me aggravated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=6CJnBt_DnR8&feature=emb_logo

My first thought is that the arm must need lubricated.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 03:19:55 PM »
MoFi though the same thing, that it needed lubed. Nope, that's not it. Last night I got adventurous and took the arm off. It's beyond basic and underwhelming for an upscale table. A yoke, a hole drilled through the arm and a pin. When the counterweight is at the extreme ends of its travel the arm moves without hesitation. Once you start getting closer to zero balance, something is making it "stick". My current theory is the tonearm wires got tugged out of whack when the previous took the cart off. I think they are contacting the pin "sometimes" and that's the resistance. I have no reason to believe the previous owner did something nefarious, he knew his stuff and why wouldn't he have Mofi warranty it? Anyhow, I'm moving forward giving him the benefit of the doubt. There's seriously no markings or any signs of abuse.

It's crazy as this deck is 1000 times simpler than the Duals I have...and 1000 times more infuriating at the moment.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 07:37:42 PM »
Which way does it stick?  Left and right, up and down, or both?
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Yamaha K-1020 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, Tandberg 10X

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 09:22:51 PM »
Which way does it stick?  Left and right, up and down, or both?

Up and down. Called Mofi and they're stumped as well. It's going in for service...in for a penny, in for a pound.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 09:52:04 PM »
Whatever is sticking will work it's way out in shipping and they will laugh at you.   If it were me that's how it would go down anyway.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 07:56:09 AM »
Whatever is sticking will work it's way out in shipping and they will laugh at you.   If it were me that's how it would go down anyway.

I had that EXACT thought, but then it'll get out of whack on the way back...and 2020 will continue kicking my ass.

Offline JLeb

• FNG !!!
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 12:22:04 PM »
Ah man, that stinks that you're having trouble.  I was just trying to help someone find new gear when I posted that Craigslist link, I feel kinda bad!  I hope MoFi will sort it out for you.

FWIW I have one of their phono preamps and I enjoy it, totally different hardware though.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 12:55:17 PM »
No worries, these things happen. A good friend of mine has the Studiodeck, Mofi cart, and Mofi Phono pre. I initially dismissed the ad, then after hearing his setup, I went for it. I finally got the RMA from Mofi, so hopefully I'll get it shipped out today. The whole balance issue just has me completely perplexed. I've been real lucky overall buying used, I was sort of due for this.