Author Topic: To infinity and beyond  (Read 4512 times)

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
To infinity and beyond
« on: March 13, 2010, 12:24:54 AM »
So Mr Falcon was nice enough to accept a few pieces of paper for a pair of Infinity reference fives. I think I ended up on the smiling end of the bargain :D.
These speakers have the ability to point out mistakes in recordings. They are very detailed. I'm currently listening to Hendrix on LP and they sound amazing. Great bass sound and depth although it's only down to about 50 hz. Crispy fresh high frequencies. The mids slip and slide right down between the highs and lows.
These speakers do everything they are supposed to. They make every sound happen (withing their capabilities).

But...

They have no personality. They are like the kid on the playground that is great at every sport but has no friends.
Their soundstage is lacking. They have no warmth. They aren't the SpEcIaL kid, but they definitely sit in the front of the bus.
Personality only counts when people are around.
A/B with JBL s38ii=infinity win
A/B with Blueroom minipod=Bluerooms win

All in all they are very good sounding speakers. 6.5/10
(Now listening to ELP and wowed)
For what you can pick these up for buy 2 pairs just in case you need to replace parts.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

BB3

Re: To infinity and beyond
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 01:33:04 PM »
Congrats On The Pickup ED. 8)-------BILL(BB3)

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 02:30:40 PM »
ED, play around with room placement, you will be rewarded for your effort..
 With my stereophile test cd I got clean output down to the mid 30's.

Mike

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 11:26:30 AM »
I'm actually really impressed with the bass out of these speakers. I said 50 hz because that's what the manual says, but with whatever frequency they produce, the sound is good. I don't want it to come across as though I don't like these speakers (I know by me saying they have no personality it makes it easy to assume that). I like these very much and they sound much better than the speakers they replaced (the reason I got them). They just have one issue... lack of soundstage and definite localization. Any speaker is going to have a weakness and over-all I am happy with these.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 05:24:59 PM »
Ed,

Did you try getting them up off the floor?  The rs line looks a lot like the Kappas, and they image fine.
Dale

-Still Smoking!-