Author Topic: Has anyone usde Grado SR80i headphones?  (Read 4082 times)

Offline paden501

• Audio Geek!
  • Nobody Home
Has anyone usde Grado SR80i headphones?
« on: November 25, 2009, 02:27:50 PM »
I know that this isn't a head-fi board, but I figured you all might have an opinion on this one.

My wife's frantically searching for a x-mas gift for me, and a good pair of headphones came to mind.  Our budget is <$150 or so, although she offered to stretch a little if I wanted a 'good' Bose pair  :o (oh she of so little knowledge).

Anyway I'm leaning toward the Grado SR80i.  It's about $100 on amazon and a million other places, and from the head-fi boards it looks like it's getting pretty good reviews.

Has anyone here heard these or can anyone offer an opinion on any other cans in this price range?

Thanks,
~Matt
--- My System ---
Front L/R: Polk Audio SDA-1C w/ Modified xovers
Amp: Carver TFM-24
CD: Jolida JD100a
HTR/Pre: B&K Reference 20
Turntable:Pioneer PL-516 W/ Shure M97xe
Surrounds -Polk Audio Monitor 4As

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
Re: Has anyone usde Grado SR80i headphones?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 08:53:50 PM »
The Grado cans I have heard are all excellent, But as with speakers, what I like you may not. Try to get them somewhere that you may return them if you don't like them.
 I have a pair of pretty rare Sony MDR-XD 400 cans that I love,  others may not. I think I got them at Stereo shop in Greensburg, for $85.00 they let you open them up and try them.

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 10:08:41 PM »
The stereo Shop in Greensburg. Ask for Dave McClelland. Good guy.
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline icravcarver

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Vinyl is better than ever!!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 06:18:46 PM »
I recently purchased a pair of Grado i60's to replace my broken Sennheiser HD420's.  I like the sound, and supposedly the only difference is only a certain percentage of 60's get graded to become 80's (rumor has it).  Not as light and comfortable as my Sennheisers, but that is just because I was used to having almost nothing on my head (I would always forget I had the damn things on they were so comfortable).  I like the Grado's.  I tried a pair of Sennheiser 515's at the same shop as the Grado's, and I felt the Grado's were more comfortable vs the 515's.  Sounded very similar, I really couldn't tell the difference between the two, so I chose the Grado's, at roughly a $20 savings. 

Again, it is all subjective.  It depends on taste and comfort.  Definitely worth seeking out someplace that would let you audition them before buying, if at all possible.

Neil
MAIN SYSTEM:Carver TFM-55, Carver C-16, Carver S/DA-490t, Carver TD-1770, BSR-EQ3000, Philips AF-677, Auvio HD Radio Tuner, Polk SDA-1C's
Man Cave: HR-772, Technics SL-P220, Polk Monitor 12 Series 2
Bedroom: Cheap ass Teac Receiver, Klipsch Heresy II's
Porch: Kenwood KR-820 Receiver, Optimus STS 100