Author Topic: Reeel-to-Reel  (Read 6555 times)

OldiesButGoodies

Reeel-to-Reel
« on: April 27, 2010, 11:58:10 PM »
This is one pice I have never really had in my collection (I had a crappy one bought at a Yard sale but it was not representative of the potential, IMO). 

Is reel-to-reel a good source like LPs are?  Is it a decent way to archive my LPs.  What is a decent starting deck?  I must admit I love the look of he older Pioneers. 

Thanks,

Pepe

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
Re: Reeel-to-Reel
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 12:20:56 AM »
They sound very good. I have a Pioneer RT-707 and the sound quality is excellent even with tapes that were recorded 35 years ago..

Mine is also for sale.

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 11:05:08 AM »
I would look for a Revox A77.  Great deck and no belts. ;D
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 12:00:02 AM »
I own a Pioneer RT-707 like Falcon377 has for sale and I love it.  It doesn't play 10" reels like the Revox A77.  I've never owned the Revox A77 but I have heard several and these are fabulous machines.

The machine that I am exceptionally fond of is the Teac X-2000.  It plays 10" reels and sounds fabulous!  I revaneered the wood cabinet.  It's not for sale, but you take take a peek! :o

Carl

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 02:21:20 AM »
Very nice Carl, excellent job on the veneer.. :o

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 08:24:18 AM »
Thanks for the responses... useful guidance - now to hunt for the right piece.

Carl:

I must admit I have always wanted to understand the art of re-veneering - can you explain a bit about what it requires (is a router the main tool or do you use knives?) and how hard is it to do?  where do you get the wood?

thanks!

pepe

Offline schwarcw

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 06:06:17 PM »
The veneer is acutally pretty easy.  I bought the real stuff that is applied with glue.  Home Depot and Lowes has real wood veneer with adhesive on one side that you can basically iron on.  Experts use a router, I used a little cutting tool.  Hand sand after application with a 12" long X 3" wide flat steel sander with 150 grit self adhesive pads.  Sand carefully because the veneer is very thin.  I used a wood dye and not a stain.  The dye is a non grain raising dye that just gives the wood grain a magnificient appearance.  The dye is applied with a rag and immediately removed, which is very different than stain.  A coat or two of hand applied polyurathane and that's basically it.

F1Nut is the resident wood expert who gave me guidance and wonderful advice.  Three cheers for Jesse! :-*

Carl

Offline schwarcw

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 06:07:59 PM »
You can buy the wood online.  I bought mine from a dealer out near Latrobe.  I can't remember the name.  Check the Superpages, I think the town is actually Youngstown, PA just a few miles South of Latrobe.
Carl

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 08:56:44 PM »

F1Nut is the resident wood expert who gave me guidance and wonderful advice.  Three cheers for Jesse! :-*

We will keep Jesse! :o

You can also get some pretty exotic veneers on the web( especially Epay)  As for Carl's machine... A true work of art!
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline schwarcw

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 01:02:50 AM »
Thanks Tom!

The wood veneer that I used was cherry, stained with cherry.  Wipe on polyurethane.
Carl

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »
Carl - that cheery veneer looks incredible. I need to learn the art of veneering.  I have been reading up and it looks to be a fairly straightforward process.  Now I need to find something to veneer.   The case of the Kenwood KR-9600 has some rough edges but I would rather leave it original for now.  So I need to find an old reel to reel with a case in need of re-veneering.   

Jesse helped me out with Polk 5Jrs - I am going to overhaul their crossover today based on his advice (and replace the tweeters once I get them from Polk).  Will ask for his advice once I get closer to the veneering project.

THANKS