Author Topic: boxer  (Read 5287 times)

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
boxer
« on: June 05, 2010, 12:04:20 PM »
I need someone to build me 2 subwoofer boxes to supplement bass on my porch. I would just go out and buy a couple car audio boxes, but they are all made out of MDF which acts like a sponge when exposed to moisture. I need the boxes made out of plywood and be either 1 cu ft sealed or 1.75 cu ft with a 14" long by 4" diameter port. If anyone has the ability and spare time to build these boxes for me or knows someone who can, please let me know.
Thanks,
Ed
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

bmwr75

Re: boxer
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 01:03:07 PM »
Ed,

Take a look at the sub box in my CL ad.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ele/1765231411.html

It is made from high density plastic.  Came out of my 1988 Chevy Silverado extended cab before I sold it.  Fit under the rear 1/2 seat.  Requires an amp and has 5-way connectors for the speaker wire.  Contains a 10" MTX subwoofer.

The picture is showing the bottom side.  Let me know if you are interested.

Scott

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 02:01:54 PM »
Thanks for the reply bmw, but I already have the subs (Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1) that I want to use. I want to have 2 of them in stereo. I am actually concerned that 2 won't be enough because of the fact that they will be in an outdoor setting, but it will be a starting point.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 02:12:22 PM »
That's a valid concern. Anechoic SPL < "In house" SPL.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 11:04:03 PM »
Rgpit? NATOE?

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 07:22:38 AM »
I've always found the solution to be drink more beer and "TURN ER UP"!!!!  :P :P :P
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline ataudio

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 10:14:29 PM »
Ed,

If I had more time I would certainly help.  I do have tools though...if you wanna borrow them let me know.
I have a DeWalt circular saw, Bosch jigsaw, an old (but functional) Craftswman table saw, drills, bits, clamps, etc. 

When do you need them by?  1 cu ft sounds a bit small for a sub though.

Augie

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 12:28:10 PM »
Ed,
Unfortunately, I do not have time to build the boxes for you either, but...

As Augie stated before, 1 CF is probably too small...  I'm guessing you got those values based on the "car environment?"  Outside (pro audio) is a very different game... (even though you are using car subs)

One option would be to buy some sonotubes (Lowes or Home Depot) and cut the height to size for a circular sub.  you would need an end cap on top and have the sub on the bottom...  Then paint/water proof them...  Probably the easiest (maybe best) option would be to make a bench seat incorporating the sub(s)?

If you posted some pics of where these subs were going, we could give you better options/ideas...

HTH...
George
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...