Author Topic: Carver vs Bryston  (Read 13324 times)

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
Carver vs Bryston
« on: August 10, 2010, 11:08:20 PM »
Bryston wins. Hands down for sound quality. Watt for your buck, that's a whole new topic. I recently switched my amps and there was a signifigant loss in sonic enthusiasm when the Bryston left the stage and the Carver stepped in.
The real reason for the post, though, is my tfm 25 seems to be favoring one channel over the other. Bias? I'm really green when it come diagnosing issues with equipment. All I know is I narrowed the balance inconsistency down to the amp. Any ideas on what the problem may be?
Thanks for any help,
New Bryston superfan.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
Re: Carver vs Bryston
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 11:12:43 PM »
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 12:18:42 AM »

The real reason for the post, though, is my tfm 25 seems to be favoring one channel over the other. Bias? I'm really green when it come diagnosing issues with equipment. All I know is I narrowed the balance inconsistency down to the amp. Any ideas on what the problem may be?
Thanks for any help,
New Bryston superfan.

I'm saying output devices.

'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

SunnyDaze

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 03:02:23 AM »
Does the TFM-25 have any onboard pots?

I don't really know much about bias on solid state amps either. I'd imaging it involves measuring the output of several emitter resistor pairs. I don't see one LRC circuit degrading or changing at that significant of a rate as compared to the others in your (or any other) amp. That's not to say it didn't or can't happen.

Did you try measuring the DC offset first?

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 08:09:08 AM »
I haven't measured or tested anything yet. I just noticed the problem last night. I will start with the DC offset as that is something I actually know how to do.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 09:04:09 AM »
Yeah. That's about all I've got. It might not indicate a bias issue, but it is a great place to start checking for something being out of whack. Luckily some folks around here know a might know a little bit about Carver.

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 12:07:21 PM »

Thanks for any help,
New Bryston superfan.

I'm saying output devices.

I agree with F1. It couldn't hurt to change them out.
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 02:24:00 PM »
How expensive are the parts for that and is it something a novice like me could handle?

Offline BrianT

• F'n Brit Asshole!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 06:40:31 PM »
Bryston wins. Hands down for sound quality. Watt for your buck, that's a whole new topic. I recently switched my amps and there was a signifigant loss in sonic enthusiasm when the Bryston left the stage and the Carver stepped in.

king-edwin.

Please get your Caver Amp repaired, and then do a blind Bryston / Carver test. The Carver should win hands down.

What you are calling "sonic enthusiasm" is the Bryston brightness, any extended listing with the Bryston is tiring. The Carver amps
are so more musical in the long run.

I have sent my Sunfire Preamp in for repair (upgrade), and are using a Bryston 12B preamp as a replacement. I find the sound to be Very bright,
good centre imaging and total loss of depth.

Brian.
Vinnie Rossi L2SI integrated amp
Takatsuki 300B tubes
2 x Carver 275 Mono Block
Audience Front Row Bi wire Speaker Cables
Audience Front Row USB Cable
Audience Front Row RCA Cables
VPI Classic TurnTable (blk)
c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Auralic G2 server
B&W 803D3 (black)

SunnyDaze

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 07:16:25 PM »
Actually, I'd be willing to bet that in a proper A/B blind comparison test, all things being equal, and both pieces completely in spec, you'd be hard pressed to find a significant difference between the two.

Before some of you chastise me and throw me off of the forum, take the time to read these:

www.bruce.coppola.name/audio/Amp_Sound.pdf

http://www.roger-russell.com/truth/truth.htm#listening
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 07:48:17 PM by SunnyDaze »

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 08:38:25 PM »
I know my tfm may need a tweek, but I will guarantee it's not far from spec. It took me an hour to even notice the issue. Of any amp to be accused of coloring the sound, Bryston is the last I'd expect. I have absolutely nothing against Carver power, I just calls as I hears 'em and the Bryston stomped the tfm and slightly edged out my Hafler. As much as I love a good debate, I think Tom could put a stomp on this one. Tom, seeing as you have gobs of Carver experience, take the 4b vs a tfm... let's say 35... This is a comparison based on the pleasurability of the listening experience. 

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 09:17:04 PM »
Bryston  ;D ;D ;D ;D

If I was at a sale and could only buy one, I would buy any Bryston before any Carver....
   Sorry Tommy. Carver gear sounds to grainy in the treble for my taste.

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 09:28:35 PM »
Bryston  ;D ;D ;D ;D

If I was at a sale and could only buy one, I would buy any Bryston before any Carver....
   Sorry Tommy. Carver gear sounds to grainy in the treble for my taste.

That is not a fair statement if you really think about it.  BTW, have you listened to the modified Snells with a Carver amp?  No grain there. No grain on the plats either. :-*
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

SunnyDaze

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 09:31:03 PM »
I'd like to go to Carverfest just to discuss the semantics of null difference testing with Bob.

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 11:05:12 PM »
Sunny, I've rad the articles and came up with a little discrepency. Anyone thrown in front of a system they are unfamiliar with for a short period of time will have a hard time choosing amp A or B. The real test is to have a man who has developed a system that he thinks sounds spectacular and throw a new component in to prove him wrong. It takes a decent amount of time to adjust and realize the strengths and weaknesses of a system before you can try to make improvements to it. It's important to note too that all equipment sounds different to every man. What sounds like morning mud to one guy might sound like morning wood to the next.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 11:20:54 PM by king-edwin »