Author Topic: Dual Coil Speaker Question..  (Read 4961 times)

Offline pitts64

• FNG !!!
Dual Coil Speaker Question..
« on: September 01, 2010, 10:38:48 AM »
Hello,
I'm trying to get a better overall sound to the 8 track system (ya I know) in my 64 Bonneville. I don't want to hack up the car. The dash takes a 4"x10" speaker and I can fit two 6x9s in the rear deck behind the rear seat.

Can I connect both channels of my stereo to one Dual Coil speaker?

I'm using a well made 80s Panasonic CX-1100 8 track. I have it going into the hi inputs of a Audiobahn A2002T amp. I wanted to add another A2002T amp and have it powering the two Boston Acoustic 6X9 speakers on the rear deck behind the rear seat.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,
Jeff
All things 8 Track....

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
Re: Dual Coil Speaker Question..
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 11:15:19 AM »
I never tried it.  I would think it might be OK. I doubt it would sound good. I would think it would be a mono sound. I would stick with stereo if possible.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 11:17:09 AM by OCCD »
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline pitts64

• FNG !!!
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 02:51:12 PM »
Looking at the grill better, I see I can fit two 4" round speakers side by side. I think that might be a better way to go. I'll keep the mids and highs up front and tune the two rear 6x9s for the lower sounds...
All things 8 Track....

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 04:25:39 PM »
Answer to 1st question - Yes, you can connect both rt and lt channels to a dual VC speaker...  OCCD has valid comments regarding sound...

Answer to 2nd question - In the car audio world (some times la la land!) front stage rear fill is the way to go...  If you can fit two nice 4" drivers in the dash and the 6 x 9's in rear deck would be the easiest way to go...  I have seen a few 6 x 9 dual VC speakers, but have not seen 4 x 10 dual VC speakers...

HTH,
George
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline pitts64

• FNG !!!
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 08:06:13 AM »
Thanks for the answers guys.. Sorry to drag my car stuff over here but this seems to be the only place I get straight forward audio answers...
All things 8 Track....