Author Topic: Tubes vs SS  (Read 4269 times)

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
Tubes vs SS
« on: November 30, 2009, 11:32:13 PM »
Hello All,

As you may have noticed, I am confused.  My first love is speakers, but is hard to give her the space she needs.  I started in stereo in the SS years and have owned many of the mid to low hifi amps.  I am divided over the high power and the well built lower power stuff.  It seems to me that a great high power amp should better a small amp on most loads: run with lower distortion, greater frequency response, and generally run cooler. 

However, I owned a Yamaha a1000x that sounded awfully good, and I am hooked on the Son of Ampzilla.  Hence my moniker.

But it gets worse, now I am listening to tubes (ranging from 15 to 35 watts) that I know can never match my SS stuff in general measured performance.  Even worse, often spending more time listening to the tubes.

And don't get me started on speakers!

Confused I was and Confused I remain,

Dale
Dale

-Still Smoking!-

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
Re: Tubes vs SS
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 11:57:42 PM »
Dale I heard your Fisher 500 tube receiver with your very rare cement speakers, nothing to be confused about.. still the best sound I ever heard!!
What name brand are those speakers?

Mike

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 12:07:10 AM »
Hi Mike,

You otta see it now with the new brass covers for the knobs.  Should have a custom cover in the next month or so also.

You otta here the 8 Kappas on the GAS.  Still something to be said about big speakers and SS. 

Also thinking of trying the Polk sda-srt 2.3's on tubes.  I see some other people own these or similar in this forum.  Should I connect to the 4-ohm taps, and have you tried this?  They seem to get loud enough on my GAS at about 5 watts average with my meters calibrated to 4-ohm, though I do not know actual impedance of Polks.

The manual just says compatible with 8- ohms outputs (SS, I am sure).

THX for any advice.

Dale
Dale

-Still Smoking!-

Offline Falcon

• Polk Killer
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 12:20:37 AM »
Dale Tommy {occd} once was running a 12 w.p.c. tube amp with the big Polk SDA-SRS and it sounded great, not very loud, but excellent sound.

Mike

bmwr75

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 01:41:28 PM »
Hello Dale,

Good to see you on this forum.

I too am dabbling with tubes....a PrimaLuna Dialogue Two integrated driving Klipsch KLF-20s with upgraded Crites tweeters.  Just ordered some new tubes to try some rolling.

Scott

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 03:22:38 AM »
There's nothing to be confused about, Tubes Rule!
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."