Author Topic: Pro sound equipment  (Read 12466 times)

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
Pro sound equipment
« on: December 02, 2009, 08:26:10 PM »
I'm just curious as to what the big differences are between pro sound gear and hifi gear. In particular I am curious about amps. I know Pro equipment is built to be road tough, but does that necessarily mean that something is taken away from the quality of sound being produced? I mean, to me road worthy means built heavier with stronger chassis, thicker cables etc. But those are attributes found on higher end hifi gear. Another big difference is cost... When I was in a band a few years back I picked up a Yamaha P7000s? for around $700. It was rated at 700 watts rms per channel at 8ohms 20 to 20. I used it in our rehearsal room to power a pair of subs and a pair of 3 way PA speakers. Good luck finding a hifi amp for .50 per watt. My question is what does the extra expense grant you when dealing with hifi vs Pro?

I'm sure I could google it and get a rich bunghole's excuse to spend thousands more, but I'd rather hear from folks who value the sound over the dollar.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
Re: Pro sound equipment
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 09:02:01 PM »
Other than being more rugged, pro gear tends to use pro style connectors. In addition to std RCA jacks, inputs can be balanced XLR type or 1/4" phone jacks and speaker output connectors can be 1/4" phone jacks or Neutrik Speakon type connectors. Also many of the power amps are designed to work into very low impedance loads.

I have found that there is usually a trade off in sound quality with sound reinforcement grade electronics. Studio equipment is another story and can be very good and very expensive.

Ron
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 09:14:41 PM »
I have a Peavey Deca-700 power amp that is phenomenal for home audio. It even had reviews that give it thumbs up for home use. Problem is, I have blown it up three times sinde 1986. >:(
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

Offline thuffman03

• Zen Master
  • CarverFest Evictee
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 09:17:02 PM »
I have a Peavey Deca-700 power amp that is phenomenal for home audio. It even had reviews that give it thumbs up for home use. Problem is, I have blown it up three times sinde 1986. >:(

And that was mainly because we had it a NASCAR races and we were pushing it to it's limits.
Got Carver?

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 09:41:18 PM »
Do you think it's just a matter of opinion and personal taste? Is this similar to SS vs tube or a whole other issue. If I were to say I was debating betweet a crown or a rotel (I didn';t mention carver for fear of biased answers) in the same dollar range what would you suggest.

I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline thuffman03

• Zen Master
  • CarverFest Evictee
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 09:51:14 PM »
We are a bit bias but not as much as you would think.

I would say Pro gear in general is to fill a room with lots of sound and will not sound tubish.
Got Carver?

Offline MasterBlaster

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 09:55:48 PM »
That Peavey kicks ass. I always had a thing for it.
Iirc, its failure on more than one occasion was
 because we were too drunk to pay attention and ignored
its cries for help
HT: Audiocontrol Maestro M3, Sunfire 5*200,  Tannoy Mercury MX , SVS PB-12 Sub

Head-Fi: FUBAR IV Plus DAC, Grado SR225

Living Room: Dynaco ST-70 (R&R work done by NATOE), Dynaco PAS Preamp, Jamo C607 towers, MCS 6710 Turntable

Offline thuffman03

• Zen Master
  • CarverFest Evictee
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 09:58:42 PM »
we were too drunk to pay attention and ignored its cries for help

Exactly!
Got Carver?

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • glub glub glub
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 10:07:14 PM »
It will be up and running again very soon.

Offline treitz3

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 10:54:21 PM »
To answer the OP's question? Night and day.

You want loud? Get a PA system. You want actual reproduction efforts that sound real when it comes to real sound? Talk to the right folks before you purchase your first Hi-Fi rig.

PA systems are for football feilds and auditoriums ONLY!! Do not ever get this confused with Hi-Fi.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference.

Offline thuffman03

• Zen Master
  • CarverFest Evictee
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 10:57:52 PM »
Good answer treitz3!
Got Carver?

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 11:09:11 PM »
So....
Pro is quantity over quality.
Thanks for your responses.
I've got alot to learn about amp design and what to look for to produce pure and clear sound. What confuses me the most is how 2 amps can produce the same power over the same bandwidth with similar amounts of distortion, but one sound so much better than the other. That's getting too deep and I'm no engineer.

Offline thuffman03

• Zen Master
  • CarverFest Evictee
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 11:14:39 PM »
What confuses me the most is how 2 amps can produce the same power over the same bandwidth with similar amounts of distortion, but one sound so much better than the other. That's getting too deep and I'm no engineer.

That is the underlining issue between amps.  The solution is not so easy.  You need to listen for yourself to find what you like.  Carver makes great amps but everyone hears differently and might not sound good to you.  Don't know why but other amps might meet your needs better.  That is why most in this hobby have had 3, 4 or 20 different amps to best meet their taste.
Got Carver?

Offline treitz3

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 12:00:14 AM »
KE, the numbers that manufactures provide are a guideline. Nothing more, nothing less. Synergy within a said system can mean more than winning the lottery.

I have heard 8 watts sound better than 3200 watts. Please do not let numbers decide what path you would like to take on your audio journey. Let your ears decide.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference.

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • glub glub glub
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 09:09:25 AM »
We are a bit bias but not as much as you would think.

I would say Pro gear in general is to fill a room with lots of sound and will not sound tubish.

However, there are Carver Pro amps( pre Phoenix Gold days) that are stunning for home audio.