Author Topic: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?  (Read 707172 times)

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?
« Reply #1830 on: July 05, 2014, 12:36:51 PM »
Pink Floyd
Wish you were here

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #1831 on: July 05, 2014, 12:37:12 PM »
From Wiki:

Winwood joined the Spencer Davis Group at age 14,[8] along with his older brother, Muff, who later had success as a record producer. Steve's distinctive high tenor, singing voice and vocal style drew comparisons to Ray Charles.[9] At the end of 1965 the group had their first number one single with "Keep On Running"[10] and the money from this success allowed Winwood to buy his own Hammond B-3 organ.[6]

During this time Winwood joined forces with guitarist Eric Clapton as part of the one-off group Eric Clapton and the Powerhouse. Songs were recorded for the Elektra label, but only three tracks made the compilation album, What's Shakin'.

Winwood co-wrote and recorded the hits "Gimme Some Lovin'" and "I'm a Man" before leaving the Spencer Davis Group. Winwood met drummer Jim Capaldi, guitarist Dave Mason, and multi-instrumentalist Chris Wood when they jammed together at The Elbow Room, a club in Aston, Birmingham.[11] After Winwood left the Spencer Davis Group in April 1967, the quartet formed Traffic.[12] Soon thereafter, they rented a cottage near the rural village of Aston Tirrold, Berkshire to write and rehearse new music.[11] The period at the cottage proved important in the band's development.[13]

Early in Traffic's formation, Winwood and Capaldi formed a songwriting partnership, with Winwood writing music to match Capaldi's lyrics. This partnership was the source of most of Traffic's material, including popular songs such as "Paper Sun" and "The Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys", and outlived the band, producing several songs for Winwood and Capaldi's solo albums. Winwood's performance role in Traffic varied from album to album and song to song; he might perform lead vocal and guitar on one track, and piano and bass on the next. Over the band's history, however, he played the majority of their lead vocals, keyboard instruments, and guitars. He also frequently played bass and percussion up to and including the recording sessions for their fourth album.
Blind Faith and Traffic
Winwood with Traffic Photo: Dina Regine

Winwood formed the supergroup Blind Faith in 1969 with Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker and Ric Grech.[14] The band was short-lived owing to Clapton's greater interest in Blind Faith's opening act Delaney & Bonnie & Friends—Clapton left the band at tour's end. However, Baker, Winwood and Grech stayed together to form Ginger Baker's Air Force. The lineup consisted of 3/4 of Blind Faith (without Clapton, who was replaced by Denny Laine), 2/3 of Traffic (Winwood and Chris Wood, minus Jim Capaldi) plus musicians who interacted with Baker in his early days, including Phil Seamen, Harold McNair, John Blood and Graham Bond. However, the project turned out to be just another short-lived one. Winwood soon went into the studio to begin work on a new solo album, tentatively titled Mad Shadows. However, Winwood ended up calling in Wood and Capaldi to help with session work, which prompted Traffic's comeback album John Barleycorn Must Die.
Carl

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
« Reply #1832 on: July 05, 2014, 01:28:31 PM »
Thanks Carl. Being a big Winwood fan I have pretty much everything he ever recorded.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #1833 on: July 05, 2014, 01:47:48 PM »
That MSG concert that he and Clapton did was amazing.   I'd like to pick that up on vinyl.   I don't usually get too excited about dinosaur rock, but that show was very fresh.   Willie Weeks on bass smoked!

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #1834 on: July 05, 2014, 06:09:58 PM »
have a bit of his stuff on vinyl also, including the Howlin Wolf Sessions. Sadly only saw him a few of times... once in a small hall setting solo in the mid 80s ? Once with Traffic in '72 or 73 ? and in a band without Clapton around 1969 or 70? not sure if it was BF or GBAF.... memory is fading but I don't recall Ginger Baker in the band and he's very hard to forget! lol Of course it could have been other things affecting my memory  and attention of that concert.... esp when your about 16yo ???? lol  too funny.... 
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline mbskeam

• Double Secret Probation!
  • oh yeah baby
« Reply #1835 on: July 05, 2014, 09:26:25 PM »
mbskeam

http://photobucket.com/albums/a96/mbskeam/

life is like flowers hanging from RaZer wire

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #1836 on: July 05, 2014, 11:55:18 PM »
I finally found a copy of "Out of the Blue" by ELO which is a SR/2 pressing but doesn't have the common pressing flaw in "Mr Blue Sky".   As much contempt as I have for Mr Lynne, I am glad to have finally found a really good copy of this fine album.

SunnyDaze

« Reply #1837 on: July 06, 2014, 12:17:42 AM »
8W, you do have good taste for a kid.   Are you listening on vinyl or CD?   This is one of the rare times where I like the CD better.   The title track was shortened on the vinyl due to space limitations and the mastering is just okay.   The CD (Rhino, IIRC) has the full version and the mastering is excellent.   Just an FYI.

Streaming via my Mac Pro that acts as a media server.

I have two digital versions of this album. One is the original US Elektra release. One is a digital version of the 2003 re-release on Elektra / WEA that includes the alternate versions of Marquee Moon, Little Johnny Jewel, Prove It, and a few others. The original release is in the ballpark of 800 kb/s, the 2003 re-release is in the ballpark of 1200 kb/s. Needless to say, the 2003 re-release sounds superior. Fantastic dynamics.

And yeah, that album is just tremendous. On the right day, it's in my top 5 album list.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 12:22:59 AM by 8 Watts of Fury »

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #1838 on: July 06, 2014, 08:49:52 AM »
Yeah, that remaster is the one I was referring to.   It sounds fantastic.

Offline mbskeam

• Double Secret Probation!
  • oh yeah baby
« Reply #1839 on: July 06, 2014, 11:16:55 PM »
mbskeam

http://photobucket.com/albums/a96/mbskeam/

life is like flowers hanging from RaZer wire

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #1840 on: July 06, 2014, 11:38:03 PM »
Went to Trader Jacks today for the first time in many years. Met
the owner of the record store there... Nice guy and very knowledgable,
but has a very weird pricing system... Not a Jerry's selection , no one has that!
But not bad.

Picked up a dozen $1 albums. After running them through the Spin Clean, I'm
starting to work thru them. So far a few winners in the bunch: Jan Hammer the early
years, Hiroshima another place, Yellowjackets shades, Weather Report heavy weather!
I love $1 albums lol
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline schwarcw

• No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #1841 on: July 07, 2014, 12:04:51 AM »
Jan Hammer the early
years, Hiroshima another place, Yellowjackets shades, Weather Report heavy weather!
I love $1 albums lol

Those are great buys.  If you got them for $1 and they cleaned up and play well you have a great deal!  Congrats on some nice records for cheap!
Carl

SunnyDaze

« Reply #1842 on: July 07, 2014, 01:39:34 AM »

If you've never heard the Wilson Pickett cover of Hey Jude (featuring Duane Allman), make it a point to do so ASAP.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #1843 on: July 07, 2014, 11:21:53 AM »
great voice!

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #1844 on: July 07, 2014, 12:01:00 PM »
Went to Trader Jacks today for the first time in many years. Met
the owner of the record store there... Nice guy and very knowledgable,
but has a very weird pricing system... Not a Jerry's selection , no one has that!
But not bad.

Picked up a dozen $1 albums. After running them through the Spin Clean, I'm
starting to work thru them. So far a few winners in the bunch: Jan Hammer the early
I love $1 albums lol

Did the record store owner guy happen to be Russ, the old Rather Ripped Records guy?
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers