Author Topic: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?  (Read 697795 times)

OldiesButGoodies

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?
« Reply #3210 on: November 09, 2017, 10:33:25 PM »
Steely Dan - Gaucho - 5.1 SACD

I hear that's a good one.   Some say the DVD-A is even better, but I think that's probably just in their heads.

I think there may something to that claim.  Next time you are over bring the DVD-A version for a comparo.

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #3211 on: November 10, 2017, 03:33:56 PM »
Billy Cobham   Life & Times

This is a great test album. You'll know within a few cuts if your cartridge is tracking well. Obviously the drums are exceptionally well recorded, but the guitar solos are just as good. Very nice album / music.... the synthesizer effects are not overdone, which was more than typical of the era lol 
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #3212 on: November 11, 2017, 11:38:43 PM »

I really enjoyed most of this.   About 30 seconds into "Try Not to Breathe" I realized it was too soon and skipped through it.   "Sweetness Follows", however, was strangely encouraging.   The mixes were particularly nice on the four tracks with John Paul Jones orchestrations.

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #3213 on: November 16, 2017, 05:08:50 PM »
The recording quality is so-so,  clean but not the best mastering.  But the music selection is awesome,  as in awesome tape mix. 

Offline geoffr

• Double Secret Probation!
« Reply #3214 on: November 16, 2017, 06:27:20 PM »
Music From Big Pink
Living room: Fisher 400, Thorens TD124, Arcam CD, Klipsch Heresy
Home office: Scott 222c or Fisher KX-200, Thorens TD124, Marantz CD + Peachtree DAC, Omega 3T desktop speakers and Deep Hemp sub
Basement: Rogue Cronus, Meadowlark Kestrel, Rega P25, Marantz CD

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3215 on: November 26, 2017, 12:39:23 AM »

Great album, nice mix.   It starts off modestly but becomes more involved as the album goes on (much like the album itself).   The drums on "Lightnin' Hopkins" particularly benefit from the surround mix.   If Lifes Rich Pageant was the start of their most artistic period, then Document is the one that began their assault on the charts.   Welcome to the Occupation!

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #3216 on: November 26, 2017, 09:30:40 AM »
"Prime Cuts"   Gene Ammons / Sonny Stitt      Not usually one for compilations, but I think Verve got this one just right. content flows, excellent recording... and the music   WOW   You can hear the joy /fun these guys are having playing and competing with each other. 
a bunch of nice sounding stuff. Nice that I'm finally able to actually listen to file music for the first time...

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #3217 on: November 28, 2017, 07:40:34 PM »
Santana - MoFi Caravanserai SACD

Offline Mongojustpawn

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Mongo Like Choo-Choo!
« Reply #3218 on: November 30, 2017, 09:40:13 PM »
Chicago at Carnegie Hall, 4 LP set.
Welcome Back My Friends, To The Show That Never Ends

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3219 on: December 01, 2017, 01:12:33 AM »
Long time no see.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3220 on: December 01, 2017, 01:13:25 AM »
Santana - MoFi Caravanserai SACD

Is that stereo or surround?

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #3221 on: December 03, 2017, 10:09:21 AM »
AVOID! Worst LP I've ever paid for. Horrible sources, horrible production, bad all over. The Who song is unlistenable, sounds like they recorded an AM station with a boom box, it's got feedback and static.

On to something much better. The Steeldrivers. '08 recording released on vinyl this year. Chris Stapleton got his start in the Steeldrivers, if you like his voice you'll love this. Excellent recording

Offline Jim Pittsburgh

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #3222 on: December 03, 2017, 10:51:19 AM »
always appreciate both the recommended albums and especially the ones to avoid.... thanks to all contributors.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3223 on: December 03, 2017, 11:32:43 PM »
always appreciate both the recommended albums and especially the ones to avoid.... thanks to all contributors.

Well, here's one to avoid...

Here's your proof that even the best mix can't fix mediocre music. I love REM, but it is obvious on this one that they were simply going through the motions. "High Speed Train" is the worst Stipe vocal ever. If he had cared at all at that point it never would have even seen the light of day. Uninspired is one thing, but horribly out of tune is another. The "Yeah yeahs" on "Ascent of Man" sound like he is parodying himself. It's so bad that it actually makes me wonder if he did it just to see if he could get away with it. Maybe they should have gone back to Scott Litt to produce this one since he always buried the vocals anyhow.   If "Leaving New York" had made the "In Time" compilation, there would be no reason for this to exist.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #3224 on: December 09, 2017, 09:17:58 PM »
The Blues Live from Jazz at Lincoln center.  Wynton Marsalis and Eric Clapton.  Tidal. Damn these guys are good.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77