Author Topic: What Happened to HI-REZ digital audio?  (Read 4865 times)

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
What Happened to HI-REZ digital audio?
« on: November 05, 2010, 09:06:20 PM »
I am totally torqued that SACD and DVDA have been abandoned by the powers that be.  I actually thought the stuff was better than all the digital formats before them.  I am on my third player and have about 60 or so recordings in the 2 formats and can not
find much about them anymore.  Some classical still seems to be released occasionally, and not much else.  Worse yet, you cannot find the stuff released earlier.  Am I wrong, or does this seem to indicate at least a little consumer support?!

Anyone else play with this stuff, and is there anyway to copy them, so I don't destroy the collection I have.  They are digital, can my computer clone these if I have a DVD burner?
Dale

-Still Smoking!-

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
Re: What Happened to HI-REZ digital audio?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 11:08:25 PM »
Hi Dale!

I am big into the high rez audio.  SACD's and vinyl are the staple for my ears.  The quality of the remaster and the high rez format are evident on most quality home systems.  

There is a fair amount of SACD's that are released regularly.  Many times it's jazz or classical.  But Mobile Fidelity releases a number of pop and rock classics regularly.  Foreigner, Little Feat, Santana, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Yes, Megadeath, The Band, Pixies, The Cars, The Byrds, Doobie Brothers have all been released on SACD within the past year.  The real bonus is that all of these are limited edition releases.  Most of this stuff sells for more money than you will pay for them in about two years.  Search for Alison Kraus "Live" on eBay.  That SACD routinely sells for more than $100.  Plus, all new SACD releases are Redbook compatable.

For those of you that think SACD is dead, look at all the high end SACD players that continue to be release daily.  Marantz, Esoteric, Ayre, McIntosh, Denon, Cary, Krell, etc. all have high end SACD players in their current product portfolio.

I don't listen to music in 5.1.  Most SACDs are no longer offered in the 5.1 format.  Some of the earlier release were 5.1 compatable.
Carl

Offline F1nut

• Ball Buster
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 01:14:38 AM »
SACD is far from dead. This year SACD is on target to have more releases than last year. Universal Japan has started rolling out limited edition 2 channel SHM-SACD's that for the most part sound glorious.
http://www.universal-music.co.jp/u-pop/special/sacd/02.html and http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/rcms/music/sashmcd.html

This site is a great way to keep up with what is going on with SACD and where to buy them. http://www.sa-cd.net/

I should add that Sony is rumored to be getting back to releasing SACD's next year. Also, take note that their new Blu-ray players support SACD.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 01:17:27 AM by F1nut »
  'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 03:57:15 PM »
Ummm.... I know I've been busy, but, I was finally getting ready to order an Oppo BDP 83SE. It looks like all of the BDP 80 & 83 players are discontinued.

Did I miss something?

Thanks
Tinpan

If you can read this message, thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in english, thank a veteran

bmwr75

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 04:18:08 PM »
Oppo's web site says they couldn't get critical parts for their players anymore.  Some of the magazines I read say they are getting ready to come out with a new player or players.

Offline confused

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 12:37:54 AM »
Anybody noticed the new universal players with blue ray.  Marantz has one!  Why would you buy a DVD now.  I may be ready to spring soon, which will open up a Denon DVD3910 for sale soon.
Dale

-Still Smoking!-

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 12:34:37 PM »
I have 4 DVD-Audio albums and one SACD gathering dust.  Not sure anyone has spent time figuring out how to rip these from a DVD ROM player. 

I would like to get into the HD Audio download game - just need to figure out the right hardware:
https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=browse_music&type=label&id=112

I see Naxos is publishing stuff this way.  Seems like this is one area where I may be better off with a Windows machine instead of Mac (it is painful to write that) because that is where the high end audio cards are.  Need to check out what is available for Mac Pros. 

Pepe

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 09:03:51 PM »

I would like to get into the HD Audio download game - just need to figure out the right hardware:

Squeezebox Touch is fantastic and relatively inexpensive. MSRP is less than $300. It does MP3, FLAC, ALAC, WAV, and more. Has analog out, Toslink optical, and Spdif coax outputs. Also it supports up to 24bit/96kHz sampling. Wired and wireless ethernet, USB, and SD card inputs.

It is how I listen to almost all of my music.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speakers-audio/wireless-music-systems/devices/5745
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 09:08:57 PM by rgpit »
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600