Author Topic: The weight is worth the wait  (Read 9749 times)

OldiesButGoodies

The weight is worth the wait
« on: March 29, 2011, 09:14:57 PM »
First of all, thank you Kingman for sending your record clamp for testing.  My observations were captured after a few days of using it with a Dual CS-5000 wearing a Stanton Epoch II cart.  The final test was done using Command Records "Stereo Check Out" - a great 1960 recording, listening to "Hernando's Hideaway", a track I have listened for years in different setups (and the rest of side B - it is all good).

1. This weight looks very cool.  Even if it did nothing,  it looks cool.
2. For even slightly warped records,  it helps tracking. The connection between the vynil disc and the spindle can be loose without the clamp,  and clicks, cracks and prats are more frequent (I did this ten times on music and ten times on quite inter-track spaces - there is a difference). The clamp helps here.
3.  Probably because the record is less wobbly overall, the sound is tighter with the clamp (the fewer/lower amplitude chirps when clamped may have something to do.  Also,  I had several beers on me during this test,  so that may have impacted perception)

So the net of it is,  I would buy a clamp.  The weight of it may tax the motor and bearings a bit, but it seems well worth the price of repair every few years if that is the consequence. 

Who is the next in line to test the weight?  Will ship as soon as possible?

Thanks again, Kingman!

OBG

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
Re: The weight is worth the wait
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 11:12:19 PM »
Also,  I had several beers on me during this test,  so that may have impacted perception)
..that always assists me in making decisive, intellegent audio decisions!!! The list was in the box with the weight. Mike (Polk killer), Fairchance, then OCCD.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 11:17:15 PM by Kingman »
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 08:13:16 AM »
Mike...did you get the weight yet???

Offline mikey813

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 08:32:16 AM »
Mike...did you get the weight yet???
My dad has been pretty sick lately and is in the hospital so just pass it on to the next person in line at the meeting.
Little Mikey
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 10:39:55 AM by Little Mikey »
True Image CM-2500, Terra Song SS-1, Denon       DCD-1520, Sony CA8es, Kef K140, Definitive Technology DR-7
youtube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Callof813

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 10:44:15 AM »
Sorry to hear that about your Dad Little Mikey...who has it? Tom???

Offline mikey813

• Audio Connoisseur
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 11:42:40 AM »
Sorry to hear that about your Dad Little Mikey...who has it? Tom???
Thanks, Kingman and yeah it is down at the shop.
True Image CM-2500, Terra Song SS-1, Denon       DCD-1520, Sony CA8es, Kef K140, Definitive Technology DR-7
youtube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Callof813

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 12:11:31 PM »
Tell your dad he can get it after Tom tries it. I don't want him left out.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 08:57:27 PM »
I tried several mods on my DD JVC QL-A7 and I found that a weight made the most difference of any.   The noise floor was reduced and the silence just became somehow "blacker".   At another forum I frequent, I posted clips and had people guess which mat and with/without weight.   There was universal consensus that the weight made more of a difference than the mat.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 09:52:13 PM »
Here is my weight on my JVC QL-A7 all dressed up in black and gold.

Usually I don't buy third world stuff (I drive a Ford), but I haven't been able to bring myself to spend $100+ for a hunk of metal.   I got this from eBay for $34 ($25+$9 shipping).   Search "400 gm Solid Aluminum LP Record Clamp + Stabilizer" to see the listing.   The title is a misnomer as it is a weight, not a clamp.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 07:51:41 AM »
Glad you found it made a difference and ressurrected this thread. OCCD...did Fairchance ever get a chance to use the weight???  :laugh:

Offline Steve_Rynn

• FNG !!!
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 09:42:48 PM »
I recently bought a JA Michell clamp because I was afraid of the extra strain on the motor with a weight. 

This is an awesome upgrade and very reasonable! I am not sure what the correct terms are, but overall I hear better definition in each instrument, the bass is cleaner and the sound seems more accurate. For reference I have a music hall mmf2.2 and am using the standard version, but I know there is also one designed for shorter spindles as well.

I got mine from ebay and it came within a few days (http://www.ebay.com/itm/J-A-MICHELL-RECORD-CLAMP-Fits-most-turntables-/370295386954?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item563753334a#ht_1322wt_774)