Author Topic: Sometimes back to the basics is pretty cool  (Read 6543 times)

Offline tinpan

• Audio Geek!
    • VA Gold
Sometimes back to the basics is pretty cool
« on: May 01, 2011, 11:17:34 AM »
Last week my father turned 91. I noticed, when I walked through the family room,  that he has a habit of listening to am & fm radio stations on occasion. He does this on his relatively new Sony HT set up he got free with his TV. Now mind you he is 91 and a retired Air Fore Colonel. I can bend 1/4 inch plate steel with my teeth easier than I can change his mind.  :-X

A couple years ago i got him the Shuguang tube amp that I mentioned was ok, but not a real sweet spot set up.

Anyway, I got him this for his 91st Birthday:

Holy crap does it sound nice hooked up to that Shuguang tube amp.. We dialed in FM radio stations I haven't heard in years and finally settled on a local Fredericksburg country channel. Neither of us are big country fans, but the music sounded unbelievably nice. We couldn't believe how nice it sounded. We listened to it for about 3 hours that nice just sitting and grinning. I still have to sort out an AM antennea, seems we have long discarded any we had in the house.

That tube sweet spot we've been looking for is there with that tuner, go figure

Now i have to find one for me.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 11:19:05 AM by tinpan »
Tinpan

If you can read this message, thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in english, thank a veteran

Offline Slim-Shaddy

• CARVER KILLER!!!
  • Tubes are for boobs
    • This is Bullshit
Re: Sometimes back to the basics is pretty cool
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 11:47:26 AM »
My dad bought one of those new and still has it to this day. No work has ever been done to it and it still surprises me how well it picks up stations and how nice it sounds when I visit.
I am confident that an SL-1200 is capable of outperforming turntables of much higher expense with minor modification.

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 12:01:06 PM »
Congratulations! Anytime with your Dad is special time and the fact you both enjoy music just adds to it!   8)
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline wkhanna

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 03:08:53 PM »
That will be a cherished moment for you.

I'm sure your Dad liked just spending some time with you.

Remember, 'In life, there are no ordinary moments".

So you better create some good ones.

Well Done!
....just an "ON" switch, Please!

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 05:12:28 PM »
That is a great looking tuner....  and BTW I have AM antenna loops all over the place here (seemingly from every receiver I have ever bought)  - if you need one PM me your address and I will ship it to you...

My father passed away in 2005,  but one of my our fun activities during the last couple of decades was for me to update his electronics with vintage stuff.  The last setup I got him was a Kenwood KT-3300 with the matching integrated amp wired to a couple of large Optimus something speakers.  He had a blast listening to NPR through that set.  I could tell the hi-fi nut inside of him wanted to keep messing with equipment but the arthritis no longer allowed it,  so I did it for him.  Time with your Dad is precious,  make sure you burn a few hours weekly listening to music with him.  I am sure glad I did. 

Those were good times.

Pepe

Offline schwarcw

• Ready For Intervention!
  • No one here gets out alive!
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 10:02:25 PM »
Get a Yagi roof mounted antenna.  You have no idea how good with will enable your tuner to sound and how many more stations you will be able to pick up.  Look Here

That Sansui 717 is one of the finest solid state tuners I have heard.  They are a great value for around $200 - $250.  Enjoy the music!
Carl

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 08:53:07 PM »
Fanfare is another antenna option.  They offer several models, some good for 10dB of gain.  I think the website is www.fanfarefm.com and the phone number is 800-26-tuner.  I learned alot studying their site and talking with one of the designers.

McIntosh makes a very good AM antenna, but rather pricey at around $100 used/$150 new.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77