Author Topic: Bringing my system this Saturday  (Read 6552 times)

Offline StephenWVU

• Audio Geek!
Bringing my system this Saturday
« on: October 30, 2012, 07:23:55 PM »
Hey guys,

I am going to be bringing in my main system, what I have finished of it that is, to the shop this Saturday.  (Golden Tube SE 100, CRM 2 speakers + stands, just going to use one of Tom's Sunfire Subwoofers because that is what I am sporting, my laptop, my Muse USB MA20 DAC, probably my Pioneer Elite VSX-91 TXH receiver, and hopefully my new Carver C-19 modded pre. Plan is to compare the difference between my C-19 and my Pioneer Elite receiver (using the Golden tube amp of course), along with my laptop vs a few good CD players and maybe dip my feet in the turntable pool.  Still haven't played around much with LPs and probably won't until I move but it is always fun to see what is up ahead.  It would be fun to hear other people's views and hang out with some of the music community again.   The CDs I plan on bringing are probably a Tango CD I own, Saint-SaĆ«ns, maybe some Gershwin, Rimsky Korsakov, and then a bunch of music that I will stream from my computer.  Feel free to bring some music that you would like to use to test my system.  ;D

I will also be bringing in my HSU STF-1 subwoofer for Bill, and my ELAN LS 650 THP speakers for work / tweeking.  I am also deeply considering selling my mirage OM-9, OM-R2, and OM-C2 speaker setup.  I have an Onkyo TX SR604 receiver as well.  Not completely solid on selling those but if I do I would be happier selling to someone on here. 

Hope to see you all Saturday,
Stephen
Speakers: Nearfield Acoustics Pipedreams Reference 18
Amplifier:
Mark Levinson ML3 (subs)
Phison A2.120SE (towers)
Preamplifier/DAC/Phono: Phison PD2SE
Server: Pi & NUC
Turntable: VPI HR-X, VdH Colibri XGW

Offline OCCD

• Woof
  • Ready For Intervention!
  • glub glub glub
    • Vintage HiFi of Pittsburgh
Re: Bringing my system this Saturday
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 10:58:18 PM »
Can you bring more 8)
Do you want ants? Because THAT'S HOW YOU GET ANTS!

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 12:04:02 AM »
Where will all this fit Steve?  The shop is pretty full! That said I would mind listening to the setup. :P

SunnyDaze

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 02:40:06 AM »
I might actually make it for this. My Integra 8067 sh!t the bed. I now have just cause.  ;D

Offline Reverend

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 08:49:28 AM »
Will the C-19 sound better then your Pioneer Elite?  As a person that owns both...yes, yes it will.

That should save you the trip of bringing all that equipment.   :P
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 08:51:20 AM by Reverend »

Offline StephenWVU

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 01:01:47 PM »
Haha, I have no doubt that the C-19 will smoke the Pioneer Elite.  I just have never heard the C-19 so I figured when I would pick it up from the shop I could do a comparison.  I did say maybe because it is one more piece of equipment that I don't necessarily need to bring but I thought it might be fun.  The main things I wanted to compare are decent CD players to my computer with my USB DAC but I could also do that just bringing in my computer and USB dac and hooking it up to Tom's system and comparing to a CD player.  Haven't been to the shop in ages... If it is that crammed I might just bring the comp and USB DAC.  Along with stuff that needs work / sold..
Amplifier:
Mark Levinson ML3 (subs)
Phison A2.120SE (towers)

Offline StephenWVU

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 01:44:10 PM »
100% bringing the tube amp (because I want it looked at and taught true proper care of it), the computer, USB DAC, Elan speakers to be fixed up, HSU sub to be sold, I will probably bring the Sunfire speakers for fun.  I think that's a reasonable list to bring.  I will probably leave the receiver because I think you might be right that it is just a waste of space.
Amplifier:
Mark Levinson ML3 (subs)
Phison A2.120SE (towers)

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 10:38:48 PM »
I'll be there and will bring a pair of Audeze LCD3 cans!

Ron
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

SunnyDaze

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 02:21:38 AM »
I'm highly debating bringing my SR-5's just for the heck of it.

They are a COMPLETELY different animal than the LCD's and have a completely opposite signature sound, but in either case, ooh la la.

bmwr75

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 09:06:18 AM »
Ron,

I have the LCD-2s.  We should get together for a comparo some time.

Offline PewterTa

• FNG !!!
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 04:38:19 PM »
Steve, it was a blast listening to the your system!!!  Those CRM 2s are pretty darn impressive I have to say!!!   :o

Your Golden Tube Amp was very nice as well... a little bit big, but the sound was very nice from it!  After hearing the difference in WKHanna's C-19... you're going to love the sound from it!!!  Did you bring the Muse DAC?  I didn't see it there and I know we were listening to the CDP most of the night...  I'd like Bill to bring his Schiit Gungir DAC.  That things very nice (and more portable than my Cambridge Audio 840c that I use as my DAC).  :)

Was great meeting you!

-Dan

Offline StephenWVU

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 12:00:38 AM »
Once again, another post making it hard to wait! Glad you had fun listening to my system! I must say, I enjoy it myself.  :P Good chance I will even more once I get that preamp. I did bring the muse DAC but I didn't use it to stream music. Probably should have but I will play with that a later day. As far as the amp's size is concerned, I actually love having the huge amp. Makes me think if someone ever decides to rob me at least it will be a pain in the butt to get that piece! It's also just fun looking in my opinion.  ;D All the same, it was great to meet you guys and I had a good time. Once I get the preamp and everything fixed up I will write a review on how it all sounds.
Amplifier:
Mark Levinson ML3 (subs)
Phison A2.120SE (towers)

Offline PewterTa

• FNG !!!
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 07:28:28 PM »
Ha ha, I hear ya... each of my amps weights 85lbs a piece and each speaker is 155lbs... gonna take some lugging to get that all out of the house!  LOL

You'll love the C-19... there's no doubt about that... the mods are awesome!