Author Topic: Audeze EL-8 Titanium  (Read 8304 times)

Offline papabearjew

• Musicholic, Instigator
  • Ready For Intervention!
Re: Audeze EL-8 Titanium
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2017, 12:59:34 AM »
I think I'll put another vinyl record on. I understand analog!

bearjew

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2017, 09:35:29 AM »
Woah I missed a lot here!  My goal is to have a DAC to use both on my desktop computer at home, my laptop in the hotel room, and my phone on the road.  I have files that are 24/192 and even above that.  Admittedly, nothing at 32/384, but there are still some things over 192 that I'd like to leave at original resolution.  I figure that getting a 32/384 leaves me in a good position.  The Peachtree Shift and the Oppo HA2 are my top options right now.  My concern with the Dragonfly DACs are that they'll probably drain my battery more than the Shift or HA2 because it relies on the phone's battery.  I have been using the Cipher cable that came with the cans, and things sound good, but I feel like there could be improvement.  I'm flying out to California tonight, and I'm bringing some giant high-res files that I didn't have last time, and we'll see how it all goes.  Also bringing mp3 versions and regular CD-quality for comparison.  During the flight, my source will be my iPhone, and the music is all stored on a Sandisk Connect wireless flash drive that I connect to the phone.  I needed something wireless because the cipher cable uses the lightning port on the phone.  Will report back on this tomorrow.  I know Rev has a Peachtree shift and he loves it, and Scott, you said you have the HA2 and like it.  I have a feeling I'll just go for whichever of those is cheaper at the time that I go to make the purchase.  I probably couldn't go wrong with either.

Also, I put another several hours on the cans, and they're just getting better and better.  I forgot what high quality sounded like until now.  Astonishing.

Offline Magnaryder

• Double Secret Probation!
  • Ray Campbell, Rush chairman, damn glad to meet you
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2017, 10:23:17 AM »
Steve, congrats on the new cans. Sherry and I were in the 'Burgh a couple off weeks ago spent some time at Music to my Ear and Northern Hifi? (upstairs at MTME) then met up with the Toms. I'm looking at the Audeze LCD-2. Listened to them and the have the same synergy my home rig has. I run a Modi2 Uber at the office.

I do want to know how you got the Sandisk to work with your IPhone. See PM

BTW my Schiit Lyr gets delivered tomorrow. So thats a 3 piece SchiitStack.

ray   
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 10:29:06 AM by Magnaryder »
Magnaryder-EAR Yoshino V20 Integrated amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Rega P3TT,SME 3009 arm, Grado Statement Master1 cart, 2018 CarverFest 275 Amplifiers, CarverFest 2011 EL84 amplifiers Nos 50/51 Stax Earspeakers, Spatial Audio M3 OB loudspeakers and the Carver Research DarkStar sub.

bmwr75

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2017, 10:37:06 AM »
Steve,

Looking forward to your report on the Sandisk Connect wireless flash drive.  Had not heard of this before.  Looks like it broadcasts the music via Wi-Fi........interesting.  A 64GB model is $100 at Amazon.com.

Scott

bearjew

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2017, 11:18:49 AM »
Ray, The LCD-2 are supposed to be amazing.  They were a little out of my price range, but I have no doubt that they're great considering that I love the EL-8s

Guys, I'll post the Sandisk stuff on another thread; I just got it all figured out.