Author Topic: Magnapan speakers  (Read 3769 times)

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
Magnapan speakers
« on: November 25, 2017, 06:38:01 AM »
I acquired a set of the small MMG's at Carverfest this year and am truly impressed with them. These are their "beginner" speakers to give you a taste of Magnaplaner sound. Does anyone else have or had Magnapan's ? I'm interested in your opinions. I just passed on a larger set of 1.6QR's but I still have the fever!!!
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

OldiesButGoodies

Re: Magnapan speakers
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 09:51:22 AM »
I acquired a set of the small MMG's at Carverfest this year and am truly impressed with them. These are their "beginner" speakers to give you a taste of Magnaplaner sound. Does anyone else have or had Magnapan's ? I'm interested in your opinions. I just passed on a larger set of 1.6QR's but I still have the fever!!!

Finally,  a Magnepan believer!!  I like the Mag sound.  The MMGs are a meant to give you a taste, as you wrote,  with just enough sweetness to persuade you to max your Visa and go up the ladder.  I have owned several and share the following advice:

- The 1.6QR is the sweet spot in the line if you don't want to spend a lot.  My fav affordable Mag.
- The 1.2 and 1.7 are unimpressive.  Between the two I would take the 1.2 (I kept those for three years or so,  bought them new,  I kept the 1.7 for a year). 
- With maggies like the ones above you can adjust the tweeter quasirbbon tweeter output with resistors.  If you find a pair that sounds bright,  do not discard too quickly, the resistors can do magic
- Fixing them is not that hard and there are plenty of instructions on the net how to.  If you run into a delaminated pair, don't assume they are a write-off.
- The speakers are particularly good with string instruments,  to get decent bass you have to jump up the line onto the 3 series (or add a sub - see below).  The 3 and above have notoriously low SAF (letting them pick the sock fabric helps a little,  but the things are large).
- Subwoofer integration can be tough with Maggies,  My advice is to look for speed,  smaller (8") subs are easier to integrate,  I had good luck with Rel and Sunfires.
- The Maggies sound very different and better with lots of power,  even at lower volumes. They really take advantage of dynamic range in an amp.  So, if they sound good with 40 watts, expect a quantum step improvement with 300 watts. 
- Like monitors,  Maggies reward you if you get a good speaker stand. In the case of Maggies the stands involve different "shoes"  and, sometimes, a reinforced frame.  There are aftermarket options for that. 

Hope that helps give you some background!

Pepe
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 10:13:05 AM by OldiesButGoodies »

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 09:55:47 AM »
One other point:  these are not meant for crazy output volumes.  they have a limit on output volume.   If your thing is listening to music at ear-bleeding levels,  get something else! 

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 10:30:35 AM »
Pepe...thanks for the reply! I ran my Sunfire signature sub with them at VERY low output and it blended in even though I had it at least 6 feet behind the speaker placement! When I was in the sweet spot it was magical...the sound stage came alive and the vocals were pinpoint clear and centered. We moved them back several feet and they continued to impress. They can't fill the room like my AL 3's but they are damn sweet! Got the fever for a larger pair so I can set them back and fill my listening room. Pair of 1.6QR's went for $900 and free shipping yesterday. After reading all the reviews I thought this was the best fit unless I wanted to go big time and spend the mega $$$. There is a pair for sale in Wrightsville PA pick up only. Anyone near there that could ship these?

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 10:33:28 AM »
P.S...I was running the MMG's with my 600x2 and they were thirsty! I cranked the tube pre up to about 2 o'clock and they stopped getting louder. I figured this was the max. they needed since rated at 150. 

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 10:45:22 AM »
P.S...I was running the MMG's with my 600x2 and they were thirsty! I cranked the tube pre up to about 2 o'clock and they stopped getting louder. I figured this was the max. they needed since rated at 150.

You can go past the 2 o'clock position and test the fuse!  After the fuse blows,  look for a high end fuse to replace it with - high end fuses are a thing with Maggies (I just replaced mine with copper wire and prayed I would not overdrive them). 

600x2 is the king of headroom, fer sure.  My 400x5 makes my 200 watt monoblocks sound like wimps when balancing the home theater levels.  Tom did a great job rebuilding that amp.  Then he screwed it up by adding a bunch of Hello Kitty stickers. Cabron!

Pepe

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 11:11:07 AM »
Then he screwed it up by adding a bunch of Hello Kitty stickers
LOL!!!!! I didn't want to damage the Maggie's by overpowering them but damn it sure would be easy! Hoping someone is near Wrightsville!!! Sent the guy a PM.

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 12:18:24 PM »
I really liked the MMGs I had for a bit, not sure where they fall in the Magnepan quality line up.   They developed a crackle/rattle fairly quickly and I pitched them soon thereafter.  I keep my eyes open for a decent pair at a good price, but I'd also need more than 200wpc.
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 07:02:34 PM »
I really liked the MMGs I had for a bit, not sure where they fall in the Magnepan quality line up.   They developed a crackle/rattle fairly quickly and I pitched them soon thereafter.  I keep my eyes open for a decent pair at a good price, but I'd also need more than 200wpc.
Exactly why I wish I had pursued the 1.6QR’s... :(

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2018, 12:57:45 PM »
UPDATE...got a pair of the 1.6QR's a while back and replaced the AL 3's in my main system. Took a while but really enjoying the sound stage and imaging of vocals and instruments of these bigger Maggie's! Thanks Pepe for leading me on!

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2018, 11:56:27 AM »
UPDATE...got a pair of the 1.6QR's a while back and replaced the AL 3's in my main system. Took a while but really enjoying the sound stage and imaging of vocals and instruments of these bigger Maggie's! Thanks Pepe for leading me on!

I miss that Magnepan soundstage.  Glad you are enjoying the 1.6s!