Author Topic: diy Carver ribbon repair?  (Read 14825 times)

Offline Planarguy

• FNG !!!
diy Carver ribbon repair?
« on: February 01, 2019, 05:19:31 PM »
*If this post needs to be moved to another section, please feel free*

i have done Carver ribbon repair some 20 years ago with a roll of the exact film/foil used by Carver. It was a pain, and I needed to make a jig to securely hold the entire ribbon assembly in place, and with strong side walls with brass screws to control the raising and lowering of the top magnet plate. Without this, the risk of the magnet plate flexing to the side and maybe chopping off your fingers is great!!
i came across a nice set of Platinum speakers, with the expected destroyed ribbons. If I can find a source for the film/foil, despite the difficulty and despite my infirmary,  I'd try to fix them myself.
Not only is the cost of sending them out for repair ridiculous, but most of these repairs look very shoddy. When I did mine, they looked and sounded exactly like when they were first made. I mean if you can't get the ribbon straight, and with proper tension (sine sweep required!), then why bother?

So, does anyone here know of a source for this material? Back in the day, there where several sources, but I have no idea now.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

OldiesButGoodies

Re: diy Carver ribbon repair?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 06:31:19 PM »
*If this post needs to be moved to another section, please feel free*

i have done Carver ribbon repair some 20 years ago with a roll of the exact film/foil used by Carver. It was a pain, and I needed to make a jig to securely hold the entire ribbon assembly in place, and with strong side walls with brass screws to control the raising and lowering of the top magnet plate. Without this, the risk of the magnet plate flexing to the side and maybe chopping off your fingers is great!!
i came across a nice set of Platinum speakers, with the expected destroyed ribbons. If I can find a source for the film/foil, despite the difficulty and despite my infirmary,  I'd try to fix them myself.
Not only is the cost of sending them out for repair ridiculous, but most of these repairs look very shoddy. When I did mine, they looked and sounded exactly like when they were first made. I mean if you can't get the ribbon straight, and with proper tension (sine sweep required!), then why bother?

So, does anyone here know of a source for this material? Back in the day, there where several sources, but I have no idea now.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

The kapton material is tough to get your hands on.  The only person I know that has a roll is a person that offers the service of repairing them (and always keeps some for his own set of platinums) and I don't think he would be interested in selling any of it.   did you post this question in the carver forums?

Offline Kingman

• Southern Commander
  • OCCD...I GOT IT BADD!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 01:00:32 PM »
Contact Ed (Sea) on the Carveraudio or Carversite forums. He can advise you.
IN REALITY IT ONLY MATTERS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE TO YOU!!!!!

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 12:48:46 PM »
I saw a dirt-cheap pair of ALS IIIwhile I was in S. Petersburg a week or so ago... thought about picking them up until I saw that one was labeled 'non-working'.
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9