Author Topic: Heathkit AA151 Volume Control Issue  (Read 2807 times)

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
Heathkit AA151 Volume Control Issue
« on: May 30, 2018, 10:19:11 AM »
Hello guys,

Thought that tubes would be more fun and end up with more problems as I go.   I noticed some variation in right and left channel on my Heathkit.  Seemed like the Heresys should be cranking at 12 oclock.   All the connections are good.   Sprayed a little DeOxit in the volume pot but made no difference.  Any suggestions before I take it out to Don at Phils TV?  thanks in advance
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
Re: Heathkit AA151 Volume Control Issue
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 10:44:11 AM »
Swap the right and left channel tubes and see if the volume issue follows the tubes. BTW you should not use contact preservative on any tube pins or sockets.
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 12:29:56 AM »
Hello guys,

Thought that tubes would be more fun and end up with more problems as I go.   I noticed some variation in right and left channel on my Heathkit.  Seemed like the Heresys should be cranking at 12 oclock.   All the connections are good.   Sprayed a little DeOxit in the volume pot but made no difference.  Any suggestions before I take it out to Don at Phils TV?  thanks in advance

They can be more fun but can also be a pain,  as you can be witness to now.  For now I am using solid state,  where I know I will get roughly the same result every time.  Do I miss tubes?  Yes,  particularly in the preamp section.  So would not be surprised  if I end up with tubes again there.   

Try Ron's suggestion - see if you have a weak tube somewhere. 

Pepe

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 06:02:26 AM »
What is your source?  Channel imbalance issues can come from anywhere in the signal chain.  If the tube swap doesn't identify the problem, I suggest swapping every wire pair, a component at a time, including the speakers
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 06:57:19 AM »
I will swap out components and swap the tubes.  The volume seems balanced but low.  I can listen to the Heresys with the volume knob at 3 o'clock and it's not too loud.
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 10:38:00 AM »
I will swap out components and swap the tubes.  The volume seems balanced but low.  I can listen to the Heresys with the volume knob at 3 o'clock and it's not too loud.

Yeah, that's not right.   I can drive my Hereseys with the headphone jack of my DAC.   Did you give a good cleaning to the mode switch?  That could give all of the symptoms you have described.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 10:40:56 AM by Sir Thrift-a-Lot »

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 03:53:17 PM »
Tape monitor switches are notorious for causing problems as well, in my experience.  It may take more than one  cleaning.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77