Author Topic: Adding a sub to a two channel integrated amp  (Read 4917 times)

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
Adding a sub to a two channel integrated amp
« on: August 21, 2018, 07:11:28 PM »
Not much going on in this section...

My main two channel rig uses an integrated tube amp. Lately I’ve felt the need for a little more low end. Jim was over a week ago and suggested using the line level of a sub -run speaker wires to sub then out to each speaker. Not knocking his idea, I was going to try it, but I was leery of having it influence the sound. Had some down time and did some googling. Turns out doing it that way could crossover the signal, stripping the low end en route to the speakers.

I found this and plan to try it out tonight. Never occurred to me try it this way. Some of you home theater guys might even want to try it out, may do that tomorrow.
https://www.upscaleaudio.com/pages/subwoofer-tips

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

Re: Adding a sub to a two channel integrated amp
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 07:53:28 PM »
Nick had a bunch of amps with built in xover and sub power.   I used this amp with the pre-outs on my Marantz, sending it's line level high pass back to the main in on the Marantz.   I wonder if he still has any of those.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 12:23:05 AM »
It worked out real well. Well, after I shoved a towel in the port to get rid of the flab and boof boof. Kids and I listened to Wish You Were Here and Adele’s 25. A friend stopped by to listen to Springsteen’s Greatest Hits. I don’t know what the original press of that record sounds like, but this new pressing is very, very good - and MUCH cheaper. I don’t know much about Mirage speakers, this tiny sub fills the bottom end nicely.

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 10:38:37 AM »
Scorpio,
I'm assuming that your sub has speaker level inputs otherwise you'll need a very simple voltage divider circuit(2 resisters per channel) between the amp's speaker output and the sub input.
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 01:59:29 PM »
Scorpio,
I'm assuming that your sub has speaker level inputs otherwise you'll need a very simple voltage divider circuit(2 resisters per channel) between the amp's speaker output and the sub input.

Yes, it has line level inputs.