Author Topic: I need a preamp.  (Read 4938 times)

Offline Planarguy

• FNG !!!
I need a preamp.
« on: February 01, 2019, 05:54:53 PM »
My Yamaha C-60 has become really bad. So many relays! I was spoiled by an Audio Research SP-6B, but I was offered more money then I could refuse at the time with lots of health issues going on; Cancer, heart and more. A lot of surgery later including quadruple bypass and valve replacement, also chemo, and tumor removal. I was a mess! So, audio was a luxury I couldn't afford.

Now getting back into it, but at a sensible level.

I am currently looking for a preamp in the $200 price range. Preferably one that does not need repairs. One with phono section is a must.
A SUMO would be nice, just because I like it's looks. I had a similar looking PS Audio, but it was a sonic dog. I sold it, then regretted doing so since I'd made NO effort to improve it's etched and tizzy high end. Make a bet I could have.

Thought someone here might have something?

Offline ataudio

• Double Secret Probation!
Re: I need a preamp.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 09:23:40 PM »
I have a very nice looking (and sounding) NAD 1155 preamp. All stock. Untouched. I haven't owned a TT in years so I never used the TT inputs.  I have no reason to think they dont work. Google it and let me know if you're interested. The pots were deox'd a couple years ago and work perfectly.

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 10:42:44 AM »
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 10:44:52 AM by RocknRoll »

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
  • Receiving Aural Pleasure....
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 12:47:18 PM »
The Usher was mine, sold to another gentleman who I believe is a member here though I'm not sure about his handle.

Really nice pre, very solidly built, quality phono (if you're into that kinda weird shit) very good functionality (I really liked having both some degree of EQ and the ability to bypass tone controls as well)... basically what he says in the ad.  It would likely still be mine, but I keep sticking with my ol' buddy -Melos GK-1 tube preamp- as other come and go.
preamp: BAT VK-5
amp: Altec 944sa
DAC:  Bel Canto 2.5
CDP: Pioneer Elite DV-47a
Intel NUC server / iFi micro iUSB3.0 / Roon
Spendor FL9

OldiesButGoodies

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 01:10:06 PM »
The Usher was mine, sold to another gentleman who I believe is a member here though I'm not sure about his handle.

Really nice pre, very solidly built, quality phono (if you're into that kinda weird shit) very good functionality (I really liked having both some degree of EQ and the ability to bypass tone controls as well)... basically what he says in the ad.  It would likely still be mine, but I keep sticking with my ol' buddy -Melos GK-1 tube preamp- as other come and go.

don't knock it till you've tried it...  with a really good TT setup

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 01:13:03 PM »
(if you're into that kinda weird shit)

:-*

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 01:14:02 PM »

It worked out very nicely for me that he wasn't.

Did you collude w his household to create vinyl-liquidation pressure?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 01:30:07 PM by OldiesButGoodies »

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 09:26:20 AM »

don't knock it till you've tried it...  with a really good TT setup

I just like yanking all the vinyl lover's chain, I've heard some absolutely wonderful TT-based stereos.  I will likely never stray far into it, way to many things I do not like about the format nor do I plan to invest much $$$ that way.  Digital keeps getting better and spending on new components, doo-dads, actual records etc.  is not in my game plan.
Spendor FL9

Offline RuralTom

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 09:27:04 AM »
Spendor FL9

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 09:46:56 AM »

It worked out very nicely for me that he wasn't.

Did you collude w his household to create vinyl-liquidation pressure?

I didn't have to.   But he must have been happy with my services because now everybody wants me to sell their vinyl for them.

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 11:29:29 AM »
There was NO COLLUSION.  Just more fake news!!!!
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 02:54:39 PM »
I just like yanking all the vinyl lover's chain, I've heard some absolutely wonderful TT-based stereos.  I will likely never stray far into it, way to many things I do not like about the format nor do I plan to invest much $$$ that way.  Digital keeps getting better and spending on new components, doo-dads, actual records etc.  is not in my game plan.

Perhaps vinyl doesn't need to get better? C'mon, the expense, futility, and inconvenience are worth it!

Offline KMC

• FNG !!!
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2019, 12:09:06 PM »
My Yamaha C-60 has become really bad. So many relays! I was spoiled by an Audio Research SP-6B, but I was offered more money then I could refuse at the time with lots of health issues going on; Cancer, heart and more. A lot of surgery later including quadruple bypass and valve replacement, also chemo, and tumor removal. I was a mess! So, audio was a luxury I couldn't afford.

Now getting back into it, but at a sensible level.

I am currently looking for a preamp in the $200 price range. Preferably one that does not need repairs. One with phono section is a must.
A SUMO would be nice, just because I like it's looks. I had a similar looking PS Audio, but it was a sonic dog. I sold it, then regretted doing so since I'd made NO effort to improve it's etched and tizzy high end. Make a bet I could have.

Thought someone here might have something?
WoW!! That is some story there. Glad you're still around to enjoy your music brother.
 Did you ever find a pre amp for your needs? I have a nice SAE 3000 that I will let go. Sounds great!

Offline Pecrobet

• FNG !!!
  • PECROBET AUDIO CONSULTANT & MANAGEMENT
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2019, 10:05:26 PM »
NAKAMICHI CA-1 (1996 Model Build, which includes Dolby DTS)
Sincerely,

Robert M Kopec
Founder & CEO
PECROBET AUDIO