Author Topic: Really cheap DAC  (Read 12265 times)

Online MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
Really cheap DAC
« on: February 22, 2019, 11:33:23 AM »
I bought a 43” Samsung flat screen for my office.  Now a days, the TVs have only optical outputs to connect to an audio system and so I bought the following DAC to allow me to connect the set to my B&O 5000 audio system.  To play DVDs, Blue Ray discs, stream Net Flix, etc, I use a now old Sony PS3 which is HDMI connected to the TV, which also puts out the PS3s audio signal through the optical out, B&O, etc.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toslink-Digital-Optical-Coaxial-RCA-Signal-to-Analog-Audio-Converter-Adapter-WGF/192334973119?epid=1046620295&hash=item2cc80ec8bf:g:-bsAAOSwaNBUh-yX:rk:14:pf:0

I had done something similar with a TV in the bedroom a few months ago, but the price is now under $10, including the optical cable and shipping.  For TV audio, this cheap, little DAC sounds remarkably good, takes almost no space (I left it hanging with the wires behind my cabinet-it’s not much bigger than a small box of wood matches) sets up in 5 minutes and works.

Some one of these days, I am going to plug it into the big boy rig to see how good/bad it really sounds, but for now, it’s probably the best $10 I have spent on gear.

Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Really cheap DAC
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 01:16:08 PM »
That;s the same one I use on my bedroom TV.   I can't find any fault with it at all and doubt that anything more expensive would be justified in that setting.