Author Topic: rassa frassin JBL  (Read 2261 times)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
rassa frassin JBL
« on: May 27, 2019, 11:06:31 AM »
I've heard that JBL refoams are hard to get aligned.   I refoamed a pair of L40s.   Both buzzed when I ran a test sweep.   So I found the problem spots, carefully removed the surround from the frame in those spots, repositioned and reglued.   I let those dry overnight and retested.   Not even a slight buzz, even at high volume.   So I glued the gaskets on and let those dry overnight.   

I went to the basement this morning and ran high volume sweeps.   One of the drivers buzzed!   Drag.   So I tried to remove the gaskets.   I had glued them on too well and they tore.   So I tried to reposition the foam and it tore.   I guess I'll just order a new surround and try to source new gaskets and start over again.

In my defense though, how many flippers run high volume sweeps to check their refoam jobs?   I wouldn't feel right sending something out that I knew had an issue.

Offline gdv

• Audio Connoisseur
Re: rassa frassin JBL
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 12:11:52 PM »
Sorry to "hear" your woes...

Hope it goes well from here...

I just do the "finger push" & play some music with bass to test...

George
5 out of 4 people have trouble with fractions...

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: rassa frassin JBL
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 06:45:41 PM »
A 1.5 volt D cell battery across the terminals may expose scraping and a volt an a half of dc won't hurt the speaker
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77