Author Topic: So you want an ultrsonic cleaner...  (Read 2991 times)

Offline scorpio333

• Ready For Intervention!
  • got mule?
So you want an ultrsonic cleaner...
« on: February 20, 2020, 03:58:17 PM »
And you order one and then after a year, this:

DOH!!!

Offline MacGeek

Re: So you want an ultrsonic cleaner...
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 05:37:32 PM »
That sucks.

I am always amazed when manufacturers tout the stainless steel construction they use, but the parts holding things together are just iron.  You would be surprised how often this happens with boat parts.
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 05:39:47 PM »
Scorpio,

I should add, I have a fair amount of stainless hardware around if you need anything to affect repairs.  I am not far away from you, in Whitehall

McG
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 06:44:03 PM »
Most people don't know that stainless WILL rust. It is resistant, but not 100% rust proof. Contacting dissimilar metals can be bad.

Likely my fault for leaving it full and idle for too long. I cleaned it up as best I could, most of it wiped right off. I think it's something inside the drain, it seems to have "grown" out of there. I plan to take the shroud off and see what is under that drain hole. Hopefully the issue is in the drain and not something welded in there.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 06:28:39 AM »
Leaving it full is possibly what caused the rust.  Stainless steel needs exposure to air in order to provide it's rust resistant properties.  It will rust when submerged as I learned when I had to replace the swim platform brackets on my boat.  They were high grade stainless, but constantly in the water.  The stainless rails on the deck are just fine

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 09:24:39 AM »
Good info.

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 06:42:37 PM »
Yes,  I usually drain mine after I am done using it.  I probably clean more records than is recommended per tank but whaddaygonnado?
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 08:16:27 PM »
So I had a chance to take a peak under the tank today. I think I'm going to pull the elbow out of there and get a look at what it's connected to. I'm no metals expert, but this looks like a perfect place for the manufacturer to skimp out. If you look real close at the exposed threads on the tailpipe where it joins the elbow it looks like rust, but I'm not sure. Hopefully I have some fittings in my plumbing drawer.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 10:34:33 PM »
Hard to tell from the photo, but that looks like some sort of thread compound to me.   It may actually be a sign of extra care by the manufacturer.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2020, 11:34:54 PM »
Hard to tell from the photo, but that looks like some sort of thread compound to me.   It may actually be a sign of extra care by the manufacturer.

Yep, you nailed it. The elbow is actually stamped with "304" and is stainless. There was pipe dope/compound on all connections. Narrowed the problem down to a potential culprit. The ball in the valve is a mess, I'll try to get a pic. It still seals, but there are gouges in the side of the ball. The ball looks to be softer metal with stainless coating. Since there was fluid in contact with both sides of the ball (inside tank and in the line to the external filter) the rust travelled in both directions, up into the tank and down the hose towards the filter. So apologizes to the manufacturer, the internal plumbing is good and not skimped, minus points on the crap ball valve.

I'll be following Gov Ridge's directive by wrapping myself in plastic and duct tape for a trip to the hardware store.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2020, 11:41:25 PM »
Gov Ridge?

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2020, 09:49:36 AM »
Gov Ridge?

Tom Ridge was the PA Gov before being named the head of Homeland Security. Sometime during the aftermath of 9/11 he suggested we all have plastic wrap and duct tape in case of a chemical attack. His idea did not go over so well.

Offline EmperorNorton

• Zen Master
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2020, 05:10:42 PM »
I remember him well.   Ridge later resigned from his position as head of the Department of Homeland Security, citing "stress" and the need to make more money in the private sector to cover his son's college costs.  Currently he serves on several boards of directors and also peddles his influence in Harrisburg and Washington DC.  He also wrote a book about his time at DHS, no doubt chronicling the stress of such things as the aforementioned duct tape strategy as well as deciding the Security Alert colors that seemed to confuse everyone except the late night talk show hosts.   I saw him at the Heinz Field opening back in 2001, on his way to the VIP tent, which probably added to his stress!!   
Rega Planar 3
WTL TPP
Oppo 103
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
AR LS-17
Quad II 80 monoblocks
Canton CT-800 speakers

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2020, 06:21:33 PM »
I know who he was, I just didn't get the reference.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2020, 07:38:31 PM »

Got a new valve and cleaned up my workspace so hopefully I can get start getting some records cleaned.

I recall hearing Ridge had some big time heart issues a few years ago. So maybe he was a bit stressed.