Author Topic: Cable cutting (antenna question: amplified blade type vs old style)  (Read 7470 times)

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
So my trusty Panasonic plasma had a bad corner and I didn't want to be bothered taking it for repair, especially in the current environment. So I bought a TCL 5 series 55" and did curbside pick up at Best Buy (that was a great experience at my store if anyone is considering it). I didn't buy it for the Roku or other features but after playing with it for a bit I really like what they have done. Just to check what it could do (since all of the connectors are on the side and easily accessible even wall mounted (why don't all makers do this?) I threw on a set of rabbit ears and let it find channels. One of the things that kept me from yanking the cable a long time ago was ease of use for my wife. I had no idea that the set would have a built in channel guide which is remarkably similar to the one on the cable box. So now I am basically ready to get rid of cable for good.

My biggest remaining obstacle is that even though I'm fairly close to the city I wasn't able to pick up my PBS affiliate and the ABC affiliate is glitchy. I'm hoping that something more than the rabbit ears will get me over the hump. I know that an outdoor antenna is best but there are several reasons I don't wish to go this route (fear of heights, lightning, exterior drilling).

For my setup I can either go with one of those amplified flat antennas placed on the center channel speaker, or I can use an attic/small outdoor type mounted to the ceiling of a nearby closet and run 16' of coax. Either method is WAF approved and will be relatively easy to get done. My question is which will perform better.

I'm a big Monoprice fan so I am going to link a few they sell and ask if any of you have experience with any of them or the similar branded version that I am sure is "out there somewhere".

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24172&AID=11051853&PID=8158976&ref=cj&utm_source=cj&utm_medium=11051853&utm_term=VigLink-2470763&cjevent=9057b551829511ea80df04180a24060b

This one is actually the one I am most strongly considering, but with a big "if". It is shown to be mounted vertically on a mast. If I were to put this in my closet I would have to rig it up horizontally. I'm not afraid of rigging, I can get pretty creative, but I am wondering if mounting it in this way will actually decrease it's performance. It seems to me that a wave is a wave, but I'm no expert.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=39303&AID=11051853&PID=8158976&ref=cj&utm_source=cj&utm_medium=11051853&utm_term=VigLink-2470763&cjevent=a227561b829511ea80f704690a240610

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=39302&AID=11051853&PID=8158976&ref=cj&utm_source=cj&utm_medium=11051853&utm_term=VigLink-2470763&cjevent=cb5106be829511ea826f044a0a24060e

The advantage with these two is that since they are UHF/VHF, I could use a splitter and run a lead to my receiver. This would be welcome, but if the UHF only one is going to perform better for the HDTV that is my first priority.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15954&AID=11051853&PID=8158976&ref=cj&utm_source=cj&utm_medium=11051853&utm_term=VigLink-2470763&cjevent=dd2e0177829511ea82dd04290a24060c

This sure looks like a rebadged $60 Terk and given Monoprice history I have no reason to believe it isn't. These seem to be by far the most popular option currently and there must be a reason for that, but it just seems to me that lots of tuned surface area should still trump electronic trickery.

Any input, especially direct experience, is most welcome.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 07:31:30 PM by Sir Thrift-a-Lot »

Offline geoffr

• Double Secret Probation!
Living room: Fisher 400, Thorens TD124, Arcam CD, Klipsch Heresy
Home office: Scott 222c or Fisher KX-200, Thorens TD124, Marantz CD + Peachtree DAC, Omega 3T desktop speakers and Deep Hemp sub
Basement: Rogue Cronus, Meadowlark Kestrel, Rega P25, Marantz CD

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

Re: Cable cutting (antenna question: amplified blade type vs old style)
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 09:28:52 PM »
Thanks.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 09:57:48 PM »
I wish that article addressed "old style" antennas.

Offline MacGeek

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 07:54:32 AM »
Marc,

What I didn't see referenced anywhere here is that the FM band rests between the old VHF channels six and seven, while today's digital spectrum uses the old UHF channels 14 on up. (the VHF spectrum was sold by the government).

To get  a proper signal to both your TV and receiver, you will want to buy a VHF/UHF capable antenna.

Years ago, before digital, many antenna rigs used a separate antenna for VHF and UHF stacked on a single pole, while others combined them on a single beam.  If you can, and are putting the antenna outside, consider a rotor to align the antenna for best reception for each channel.  A rotor is particularly useful for reception of fringe stations.  I used a rotor at my last house, in the North Hills and I could receive WMMS FM out of Cleveland and got a very listenable mono signal.

I use an old "rabbit ear" type antenna for a tv in my garage; the type with two extendable rods and a loop in the middle.  The loop tunes UHF and the rods tune VHF'

No matter what you decide to do, the elevation of the antenna, regardless of type, has the biggest impact on reception
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

Offline RnR

• Audio Geek!
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 10:46:48 AM »
Hey there,

I've never had cable TV since growing up at my family's all the way til now.  Definitely get the best "flat panel" that you can, and put it up as high as you can.  I think mine was $50 from home depot or target.  52 FREE channels for when you just cant stomach to spin another record : ).  The programming is great too!  old school sitcoms, sci fiction, travel/cooking, mysteries, westerns, movies, 70s game shows, etc. etc.   

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 11:12:44 AM »

What I didn't see referenced anywhere here is that the FM band rests between the old VHF channels six and seven, while today's digital spectrum uses the old UHF channels 14 on up. (the VHF spectrum was sold by the government).

To get  a proper signal to both your TV and receiver, you will want to buy a VHF/UHF capable antenna.

I alluded to that when I referenced the VHF/UHF choices.   When I lived in Altoona and had an analog car tuner I could catch WJAC TV 6 in Johnstown at the very bottom of the dial.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2020, 11:19:25 AM »
https://www.instructables.com/id/Build-the-Pennyloop-UHF-Antenna/

A very interesting article.   I don't see myself making one, but what he said about heights and the dual loops certainly pushes my decision even more toward the one I was already favoring, the dual surface foldable one.

Offline scorpio333

• got mule?
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2020, 11:21:54 AM »
Mark, my parents tried cutting the cord after their last move. I think my dad bought two different antennas. For reasons unknown to me, he ditched it and went back to cable, likely he had unobtainable expectations and when it didn't pan out he rage quit. I'll be over there today and I'll see if he still has the antennas and whether or not he plans to keep them. I'll update you later.

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2020, 12:00:42 PM »
Mark, my parents tried cutting the cord after their last move. I think my dad bought two different antennas. For reasons unknown to me, he ditched it and went back to cable, likely he had unobtainable expectations and when it didn't pan out he rage quit. I'll be over there today and I'll see if he still has the antennas and whether or not he plans to keep them. I'll update you later.

Thanks.

Offline steinjw

• FNG !!!
  • stein449@icloud.com
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2020, 02:13:46 PM »
Hey Mark - I have been utilizing antenna for FM and TV for years. Only caveat that I would have for you is - if you go with a directional antenna, be aware that our local stations kdka and wpxi towers are north, and wtae tower is east as I recall - that is why some folks get skitchy reception from wtae unless they can slightly re-configure their alignment. Ohio stations will be west of course. Shoot - for $30 may as well give that one a shot and see how she works for you.Not much pain there.
Being able to change direction is great if you really plan on utilizing FM to any extent.

BTW - thanks for your work. Appreciated.
Jim
Jim
Linn Sondek LP12 w/Lingo II, Akito II, Dynavector XX-2 MKII, Art Audio Vinyl One Phono Pre, Gill Alana preamp, Art Audio Carissa Amp, Totem Acoustics Hawk Spkrs. Also Kenwood KT-5090 and NAK CR-7A Cass.(haven't used that last in an age).

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2020, 04:06:59 PM »
our local stations kdka and wpxi towers are north, and wtae tower is east as I recall

That's what I thought too but I got an antenna finder and it shows 2, 4, 11, 13 and 53 all in basically the same direction.   Then it also shows a different channel 4 antenna in a different direction.   I am getting the impression that somewhere during the digital conversion they moved their transmitter site, but I can't find any definitive info.   The antenna map shows them having towers both in that West View area and in West Mifflin.   Would one station have two towers?   19 and 40 are east of me, but at about the same axis as the ones in WestView, so maybe the antenna will catch them from behind.   And if not, who really cares?   It's 19 and 40.

Offline rgpit

• MAD Scientist
    • My Music Collection
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2020, 05:05:04 PM »
Channel 4 has been transmitting from Elizabeth, PA for decades.
Pioneer PLX-1000, Nagaoka MP-150, Tascam CD200, microRendu, Sonictransporter I5, Benchmark DAC2HGC & AHB2, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3s, Analog Research Velluto, minidsp 2X4HD, SB Acoustics DIY subs, Sony HDR-F1HD, Alesis ML9600

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2020, 05:39:31 PM »
Channel 4 has been transmitting from Elizabeth, PA for decades.

The new maps show a transmitter in the west end as well as the one in Elizabeth.   They also show two for WPXI, but I didn't notice that as it is such a strong signal even with rabbit ears that I didn't take note.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d9038743944b5ea