Author Topic: Kenwood KR-V6010 popping when input buttons pushed  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Kerry

• FNG !!!
Kenwood KR-V6010 popping when input buttons pushed
« on: June 02, 2020, 02:31:14 PM »
Hi All.  I'm new to this forum and pretty excited about it!  I am a novice audio repair hobbyist looking for some help.  I have a Kenwood KR-V6010 receiver.  It powers on and plays through the speakers.  However, a loud POP occurs through both left and right speakers when any of the function buttons are pushed (CD, Tape, Tuner, Phono, Video1, Video2).  The POP also occurs when the power switch is pressed for power off.

I have reflowed some connections on the control board, specifically all the cable in and out connections, but the problem is still occurring.  Also I cannot locate the schematic for this unit online.

I suspect either a faulty capacitor, transistor, or cold solder joint.  I haven't look at the main power board yet as it's "buried" with no access panel under the unit.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Offline Sir Thrift-a-Lot

• Ready For Intervention!
Re: Kenwood KR-V6010 popping when input buttons pushed
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 03:56:34 PM »
Probably a stupid question, but I assumed you thoroughly DeOxit'ed all of the contacts?   Then did it a second time?

Offline Kerry

• FNG !!!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 07:54:26 PM »
I did. Pressing the function buttons activate push button micro switches. I feel like this has something to do with a voltage surge that maybe a bad cap isn

Offline MacGeek

• Ready For Intervention!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 08:05:44 AM »
If this is an A/V receiver, who knows.  Nevertheless, I have a 2 channel stereo receiver that had similar problems.  Replacing the big filter caps solved the problem, but not initially.  There were four of them and replacing only the bad ones didn't fix things; all four needed to be replaced (and matched)

If you need a tech, finding one locally and willing to work on it, may be difficult.

Good luck
Mac stuff, Sony HDR-F1HD AM/FM/HD tuner, Denon DRS 810 cassette, Denon CDR-W1500 CD recorder, Music Hall MMF-9 w/B&O MMC2, B & O 4002 w/B & O 20 CL, Revox A-77